My Writing Schedule of 2017

by - May 20, 2017

Hey all, I know this post is running really late and I'm so sorry :P I've had a really busy day, what with cleaning out the garage and running a fundraiser for my Students for Life Group. That was amazing, BTW. We went door to door collecting redemption bottles, which we then cashed in at the redemption center for $80! It was amazing and my buddies over there are some of the best people in the world :)

Anyway: I thought I'd give you all a run-down, month by month, of my writing schedule for this year. Starting in January because I'm a slacker and didn't yet have a blog when the year started :P And I will provide commentary, which you will probably not enjoy.

January

Goals: Finish The King's Daughter.

Did I do this? NOOOOOO. Hahahahahahaha.
Unfortunately, January was a very heavy month medically, and... I kind of had no writing time. I was finishing up my honors American government, and had a surgery, and... yeah. It was just not good.
I think I got a little bit done, though, so that's a good thing!

February

Goals: Finish The King's Daughter. Write the beginning of The Wacky Factor.

Lololololol *dies from lol-ing so much*
Yeah. I don't even know what was happening in February... but obviously I thought I was going to have some writing time despite the fact that I was doing Honors Government and Honors Biology and I was behind in just about every other subject and my emotions were a mess and...
This year did not get off to a good start. :/
,

March

Goals: Edit The King's Daughter. Finish The Wacky Factor.

I... wrote a lot of The King's Daughter during March, because things began to slow down a little, so that's a very good thing!

April

Goals, lofty and impossible from January: Originally, write The General's Children, sequel to The King's Daughter.

Goals, doable from March: Write The Wacky Factor.

Obi-Wan is amazing. I have no regrets.

As y'all know if you've been hanging around my blog for a little while, the emotional strain of writing The Wacky Factor really took over and so I had to stop. Instead, I claimed I would be editing Watched, but... didn't really get around to doing it.
So now, I'm really behind on Watched, but April was a lovely month of reading and relaxing, so it's totally worth the writing break.

May

GLAIJ: Edit Watched.

GDFM: Edit Watched.

 So, as you can see, either way Watched was getting edited this month. And I've made progress. I really have! But I'm also having trouble concentrating and ripping myself away from my books (Goldstone Wood, I'm looking at you), and so I'm only up to chapter 8 done. :( It's a complete rewrite, which I have never in my life actually finished, so this is a brand-new and rather scary experience for me.

June

GLAIJ: Research World War II and Japanese internment camps.

GDFM: Research World War II and Japanese internment camps.

Goals, modified for new ideas: Write Five Something Something Novella.

I went htrough a period where I was really fascinated by the whole "America-locked-all-its-Japanese-citizens-up-in-camps-during-the-war" thing. I wanted to write a book about it, a MG Historical Fiction story. I probably still will, at some point, but I've decided to wait on that for a little while so that I may write something else.
Namely: I'm entering Rooglewood Press's Five Something Something contest this year! I'm also participating in the contest reveal, so... keep your eyes peeled for that.

July

GLAIJ: Write World War II Japanese Internment Camp story.

GDFM: Write World War II Japanese Internment Camp story.

GMFNI: Try to start writing Wings.

I am so excited about Camp NaNo this July, y'all. Because I'm finally going to be able to start my fantasy version of World War I. It includes snarky boys with wings and shape-shifting dragons and joke-cracking gryphons and cocky girls and genius inventors. It will be amazing. I already love it so much.

August

GLAIJ: The Seer's Apprentice, book three in the Pentegreen series

GDFM: Edit The King's Daugher.

GMFNI: Finish Wings.

I seriously thought I was going to be able to write three out of the four Pentegreen books this year, you guys. I was so young and naïve at the beginning of this year. I didn't yet know the ways of high school. XD
But now I do, and I know that to write a 120,000 word+ book, you need a lot of time. A LOOOOOOOOOOT of time. So I'm giving Wings two months. It is stand-alone fantasy, after all, and those are notoriously long.

September

GLAIJ: Finish The Seer's Apprentice

GDFM: Edit The Wacky Factor

GMFNI: Edit Watched.

Note: I will be working on my Five Something Something novella on the side this whole time, it's just that June will be my one big month to focus on it. June and maybe October.
I want to get Watched published, so I'll be editing it a lot more than is mentioned on this chart. Once again, if you're interested in beta reading for it *gulp* There's a contact box on the sidebar of this blog. Please let me know!


October

GLAIJ: Edit The Wacky Factor.

GDMF: Edit The Wacky Factor.

GMFNI: Finish my Five Something Something Novella, finish The King's Daughter, intensively edit Watched; if still have time work on starting The General's Children

If you can't keep all these projects straight, that's okay. I can't either XD
This one is pretty self-explanatory. But I'll probably die anyway. Little matter- sleep is optional when you're a high-school author.

November

GLAIJ: Write The Journey (working title for sequel to Watched)

GDMF: Write The General's Children

GMFNI: Edit Wings

I want to write Wings. That's probably not going to be its title when it's done, but... half the main characters have wings, so... yeah.
NaNo rebel editing, here I come!
Alternate project would be to write The General's Children. We'll see which I'm in the mood for when we get there. :P

December

GLAIJ: Edit The General's Children

GDFM: More editing of The Wacky Factor

GMFNI: Edit Watched some more

December feels really far away... so I don't know. I'm thinking this will either be a month off or a We'll-see-when-we-get-there kind of month. We'll see when we get there ;)

I hope y'all enjoyed this post, and that it wasn't too confusing :D Again, sorry it's so late... I've had a super busy day!

What are your writing goals for this year? Which have you succeeded in? What ways have you found to juggle writing, reading, and school, as well as familial relationships? Tell me all about it in the comments!

You May Also Like

26 comments

  1. Write a book. My one and only goal, so simple it's hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK IN THE WORLD IN ACHIEVING YOUR GOALS! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS YOU TOO! *throws inspirational confetti*

      Delete
  3. OOH, your schedule is even more nuts than mine *stares in awe*. Best of luck to you, my friend! And can I mention how cool it is that you're joining in the Rooglewood contest? IT'S GOING TO BE EPIC, I can't wait to find out what story it's going to be this year!

    (and also, about beta-ing your novel - how clean is it? I might have time, but I'm not sure)

    ~ Savannah @ Scattered Scribblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty clean- I do not do dirty stuff. Ick. XP There's some violence, as its dystopian, but little romance and no language :P

      And thanks for the good wishes! Good luck to you too!

      Delete
    2. Okay, I have goals, but I think you already know what happened to them...*hint: Bluh*
      I read One For The Murphys....oh my gosh!!!!?!?!?! It's definitely my favorite. I would have read it sooner, but I had to wait for someone to finish reading the book from the library, and it's been SO busy around here. Lol I LOVED IT!!!! Thank you for your post that led me to the wonderful book. You are the cause of my happy week. Lol
      Oh, and good luck on your goals! ;) I hope you do batter than me. Lol

      Delete
    3. Oh, you're so welcome! It's really great, isn't it? I actually bought it, which is saying something for me XD
      Thank you! I hope you can accomplish something this year too!

      Delete
    4. Ooh, awesome! Sounds like something right up my alley (and I assumed, being as you wrote it, that'd it be clean - but I wanted to ask anyways xD). When are you going to have people start beta-ing it?

      ~ Savannah @ Scattered Scribblings

      Delete
    5. I'm not actually sure. Whenever the rewrite is done, I suppose, although finishing that in May is looking less and less likely. But I will be putting out a post as soon as I'm done to let everyone know :)

      Delete
    6. @Florid Sword: It's the best. It's definitely my favorite. :) I'm going to buy it soon! I can.Not.Wait to own it for myself. Then I an underline and bookmark all I want to study up for my own WIP. Lol
      Why thank you! <3

      Delete
  4. You're so organized!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks impressive! I hope you meet your goals! ^_^

    Oh my gosh, I've been having so much trouble taking a step away from reading! I know I should be outlining for JuNoWriMo, and I should be editing my other novels, and maybe actually being on top of things blogging-wise, but...Books, man. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BOOOKS.
      Thanks, Madeline :) And you are so great with your posts, I love to read your blog and I look forward to what you post (even if I don't always post a comment [I try to though] I'm reading everything you put up :) )
      I just want to REAADDDDDDD :(

      Delete
  6. My goal is to get my first novel off to an editor, so.... *hides* I hope that works out :P Then I want the sequel to be alpha-read, and to FINALLY write the last book in the trilogy.

    Great post! I love to hear about other writers' goals :)

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! You can do it, Audrey. I know you can!

      And thank you! I do too!

      Delete
  7. You're impressively organised!! Wow. And you've got so many WIPs planned to finish! (I haven't finished ANY first drafts yet. *embarrassed* I get shiny new ideas...)

    'Wings' sounds really cool! (and a bit like 'Leviathan'? which is 'biopunk/steampunk' x WWI)

    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay! NaNoWriMo is probably the only reason I've ever finished a draft, and I like to be disciplined XD

      Delete
  8. Good for you! Now and then I try to create and stick to goals, but I'm such a magpie- distracted by the shiny new ideas. I have recently been given a deadline to finish a project. End of July I must present my completed project to my 'creative community', or face their disappointment. The stakes are raised when there are others to hold you accountable.

    On an unrelated note, I've tagged you: https://tobeashennachie.wordpress.com/2017/05/20/sunshine-blogger-award-round-2/

    For when you have the time, of course! Writing takes priority!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks :) I'll do that for my Saturday post. I needed a tag or something to do for it ;)

      Delete
  9. WHOA AND I THOUGHT I WAS A SCHEDULER. O.O That's super impressive that you've got your /entire/ year planned out- I only schedule by the month haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a first for me so... we'll see how it goes. Hopefully I can hold myself to it? XD

      Delete
  10. "Wings" sounds amazing!

    Actually, they all sound amazing.

    But just from your few lines, I am already WAITING for Wings.
    I will now be stalking your blog to watch its update...
    You have been warned!

    Mary Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'll take that as an incentive to finish these current writing projects so I can get to work on that one!

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)