It's the End of May!

by - May 30, 2017

Allo, guv'nah. How d'you do?

*abandons that accent*

Can you believe May is already over?! I can't. But I'm thrilled that so much has happened this month.

Here we go. And this will probably not be a very interesting month because I didn't do too much, but... the post must go up! And go up it will! So... yeah.

*tries to look interesting and fails*

Music this Month

Not much... I haven't been using Spotify all that much. Shame on me. But I will give you what I can!
Sorry about the name... but if you don't know TSFH you should absolutely look them up. They are absolutely amazing. It's like they have soundtracks specifically made for fantasy authors (or any authors, really; I've been listening to them while writing Watched and The Wacky Factor too.)

They're so good. I love this album so much. It's not as good as Fading West, which I've been listening to also, but still. BEYOND EXCELLENT.

Imagine Dragons is one of those bands where I like some songs but not all and probably not most. Warriors is one of my favorites, along with Radioactive and the new one, Believer. Their sound is really cool.



And I made a Spotify playlist for Watched, which is what I've spent a lot of time listening to lately also. I don't think there's anything inappropriate in that list (I don't listen to anything with bad content XP [besides a couple of musicals where there's a couple of cuss words]) so if you want the mood of my book in music, try this out!

I'm also embarking on a challenge for the month, which I shall be revealing on Thursday! Two big reveals on Thursday! (Ooh, the suspense.)

Books

Lots of books this month! And apparently I'm 7 books ahead of schedule on my Goodreads reading challenge, which is a relief. At the beginning of this year I was in a serious reading slump.


This was a really disappointing story, you guys. Like, really disappointing. I'm a massive Hamilton fan, but this... was just wrong. It made me very sad. :(

[Goodreads]

This was so good. I can't even tell you how much I loved this one. I had a couple of problems with it, but they were SO MINOR and the story was SO WONDERFUL.
And if Veiled Rose was good, this one was... perfection. Both Heartless and Veiled Rose merited four-star ratings from me, but this one was a straight up five-star book. So perfect. The characters... the setting... ooh. Love it. <3
I did an interview with Leah Good, the author of this book, last week, I think? Or maybe the week before? Whatever. It was in May. And I read this book in May. It was stellar. It's in the same genre as Watched, which would have merited it a high rating from me anyway because I had no idea that there was anything else in the Christian Dystopia genre :) But it was still SO. GOOD. All the love to this book.

I read so many books this month; but if I were to attempt to list them all this post, they would take over. I'll now move on to

Movies

Not many, but I'll list the few I did watch:
This is my dad's favorite movie; he's huge into anything that has to do with chess. I don't know that it was my most favorite; probably 3.5 stars from me? But it was great and I was thankful that he gave me this opportunity to share in his interests.
I watched this one on Mary's recommendation in three-minute (probably pirated?) clips on YouTube and it was SO FUNNY. I cracked up multiple times.
So funny. XD XD XD XD

This wasn't a first-time watch; it was a re-watch, but it was SO GOOD as usual. I watched it with my little sister for her first time, and she was (remarkably) more calm about it than I was. Like, she didn't scream and cry and have nightmares for years afterwards. This movie does stuff to my feels and mind, you guys.

Writing

I think I'm at about 30,000 words on Watched right now. Which isn't bad. It's nowhere near as much I wanted to write, but... oh well. You want snippets, right?

This one's a little bit censored for #Spoilers but here you go...

[Bryce's] hand found the back of the chair in front of them and squeezed. Melinza mimicked the expression, the scratchy polyester irritating her fingers.    
    After a moment, he did continue. “What if that had been you?”
    “I’m sorry, what?” Bryce was always making the assumption that she could read his mind and follow his train of thought.
    “I mean, what if you were the one who that guy had grabbed instead of Jeannie? What if someone was pointing a gun at you?”
    Melinza couldn’t answer that. She stared at the floor, shuffling and trying to formulate a coherent answer. What would she have done? If it had been her, would she have laughed and mocked death? Or would she have pled for mercy? Or would she have screamed and cried and lost hope? Or would she have been silent and resigned to her fate? ...
    “I don’t know what I would have done,” Bryce whispered, staring at his feet. “I’ll never be as brave as Jeannie.”
    Melinza didn’t answer, afraid that her voice would break if she tried to speak.
    Would you risk all for the gospel? She scribbled it into her journal on the train ride home. Jeannie sat at her side, leaning her head on Melinza’s shoulder, sniffing at intervals. Would you be willing to stand firm when the darkness starts to close in and one little world is the difference between life and death?
~Watched


That's all you get this time, but there will be more next month, believe me.


Life

  • I get to beta-read Abi's new novella, Andora's Folly, and it's marvelous :)
  • School is finally wrapping up! Running out of subjects to do!
Me

  • Some deaths in my family. Prayer would be appreciated :(
  • I sent a new article out to the Rebelution *gulps* I really hope I get published. If I do, I will flail about it on here in the future :)
  • My Students for Life high school group has made a ton of money towards our goal of going to the National Conference! Score!
How was your May? Which of these books/movies have you read/seen? Do you like my snippets? Have you ever tried to start an extracurricular club? (It's difficult, believe me.)

You May Also Like

18 comments

  1. I always read posts like these at the end of the month and think, "how fun! I should do this sometime!!" and then I never do! But one of these days... (like when actually interesting stuff happens in my life). XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you see how short the 'life' section is for me! It's all what I've been doing media wise. I have no life either :D

      Delete
  2. This was really nice. I get the running out of subjects. I'm down to three and one will be done this week. So then I'll be down to two. It's cool you do a wrap up of the month. I'm not sure I do enough to do one of those. I'm boring, lol.
    Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss(es) and I'll keep your family in my prayers.
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also down to three, so I can't wait to finish bio! I hate it. I'm sure you're not boring... I mean, there's nothing in the "Life" section here and I was scraping the bottom of the barrel with my fingernails, so...

      Thank you!

      Delete
    2. I've never done bio, Praise Jesus! I despise science with a strong passion. I love History, but I already finished that up. I finish science this week, thankfully. I actually only have four more questions on a test today and then I'm done. *happy dance*
      I'll still have Language Arts and my elective, an elective that I regret. *sighs*
      I don't know, I don't think I do much. I mean, I write a lot and now I blog. I think you're Life section was more eventful than you think.
      Anyway, sorry for the longer comment. I tend to ramble on and on, lol.
      Have a blessed day! :)

      Delete
    3. That's okay! I love comments!
      Aw, I'm sorry you regret your elective! Those are the worst, aren't they? Hate those. :(

      Delete
    4. Yeah. It was supposed to be about computers and the disc that came with it stopped working at the beginning of the school year and on top of that, I don't have the programs I needed to do some the things. Upside was I didn't have a bunch of projects to do. Downside is it was boring and just dragged on and on.
      That's so cool that we only have three left. Summer's coming and I'm excited.

      Delete
  3. You have really good taste for movies, girl! My aunt and I finished watching The Two Towers for the millionth time the other day. <3 The Emperor's New Groove is hilarious. XD
    That snipped was AMAZING!!!! *cries* i can't wait 'til we get MORE!!!
    You also have GREAT music taste, lady. Skillet and Rebecca St. James are awesome. <3
    Sounds like you've had a great May! I have, but we've been SUPER busy with end of the school year stuff.... *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Rebecca St. James. Glad you liked that snippet! It's so hard to find good ones at this point XD

      Delete
    2. We have videos of my sis and I singing to her music when we were TINY. <3
      I LOVE IT!!! I can't wait 'til I read your book. :D

      Delete
  4. THE EMPEROR'S NEW GROOVE IS EVERYTHING. I die laughing every time I watch it. XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a full month!

    I congratulate your Students for Life group's progress, but I'm sorry for your family's losses.

    Veiled Rose and Moonblood are among my favourites of the Tales of Goldstone Wood books! I think Moonblood is due for a re-read, once I'm finished with Dragonwitch.
    The Emperor's New Groove is such a ridiculous movie, and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)

      They are, aren't they? I haven't gotten to Dragonwitch yet, but... still. Moonblood is the best book I've read... this year? If that's possible?

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness, I LOVE TSFH! They have suuuuch good music. It really sets the mood when I'm writing, too. :)

    YES, you watched The Emperor's New Groove!! It's the most HILARIOUS THING. XD Me and my family quote from it all the time. ;)

    So sorry for your losses, I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the biggest reason I like them :) They're kind of awesome.

      I loved it. Just don't throw it off.

      Thank you :) You're sweet.

      Delete
  7. From what people have said (and quotes I've seen on Pinterest!) I REALLY need to watch Emperor's New Groove. ;) And I am, right now, on your recommendation, listening to TSFH (Cannon in D Minor, specifically) and I cannot BELIEVE how good it is!! This is why I love recommendations :D

    My 'life' section was pretty small too ;)

    I'm sorry for your losses... but at least we have hope!

    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing, though! I LOOOVE Cannon in D Minor. Especially the pun of the title. XD

      Thank you :)

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)