Watched: The Characters

by - May 13, 2017

So the post today is inspired by Gray Marie's post on her characters (because I have no ideas.) You know that feeling? Where you go "I have a million ideas for what to post about" but then you actually sit down to type out the post and they all fly away? It's like "Pssh I got nothin'."

But thank you anyway, Gray, for the inspiration :)

Since I've been talking about this infamous "Watched" so much, I was thinking I'd give you a post of my concept art pictures for my characters. I drew some of them back when they were still a part of The King's Daughter, but those are no longer up to date. Sometime I'll give you a second post with more accurate pictures than these photos (although a lot of these are pretty accurate.)

So here we go.

This is basically what I picture my MC, Melinza, looking like. She's a redhead, and, yes, she always wears that hat. (Most of my characters wear hats. They live in D.C. during the winter. It's chilly.)


This kid is Lucas. His eyes aren't quite green enough, but his hair's about right. He's a street kid with a messed-up family and a desire to make something of himself in the world. And chivalry is, for the most part, his middle name.

Y'all remember Bryce from my Dual Character Inquisition Tag, right? Well, this is him being a dork. I don't know about the stuffed - dinosaur? (??) but the rest of it is completely accurate. That's the kind of picture he'd take.

Jeannie is Melinza's best friend. Both these pictures are her... sort of. The top one is how she dresses (She's kind of a grunge-style girl) and the bottom one is more how she actually LOOKS (mostly in terms of hair. She's not platinum blonde like the girl on top.) Jeannie's one of my favorite characters to write because she's just so SWEET.

This is Melinza's freaky older sister, Opal, who's pretty much all bark and no bite. (This pic is mostly accurate... she has more piercings than this, though, and in different places.) Appearance wise, Opal fits right in at school and elsewhere, but once you talk to her... She's probably the most radical character I've ever written XD

And then on the other end of the spectrum we have Melinza's big brother William, who is no bark and all bite XD He's very practical, very brave, and a bit too cocky for his own good. This is the most accurate picture I could hope for of him :) Although I think he's probably not got quite so much facial hair.

These are two of Melinza's other brothers. On the left is Morris, the weird one, and then on the right is Winsome, the cute little one. Both of them have been around - oh goodness, since I was ten or so? They've existed FOREVER. It's kind of wonderful. Morris has always been the geeky, annoying big brother (although he's more than that in this book... Ooh, the suspense!) and Winsome is just adorable. Hopefully, anyway...

I hope you enjoyed this brief look at my characters! I'm really pushing it on Watched right now, trying to finish this rewrite, and I hope to have it ready for alpha-readers by the end of May. *gulps* If you would be interested in that, please let me know!

Also: I was hoping to make a mock cover for this book. Seeing as I have no talent whatsoever in that field, I would love it if one of you wonderful people would be willing to make me a cover :) I'll send you a detailed synopsis and the first three or so (poorly edited)  chapters so you can get a feel for the story and tone of the book. If you could do this or you know someone who could, I'd be eternally thankful (and I will also send you an e-copy of the book for free [assuming I can figure out how to do that] once it's published :) )

Do you like my characters? Are you curious about my book now? Chat with me in the comments!

You May Also Like

32 comments

  1. I am curious about your book now! Opal looks and reminds me of this girl I know, it's kind of freaky! xD
    And Bryce, he looks so awesome and fun! I would totally be friends with him if he was real and I knew him!! I'm glad my lack of inspiration, which made me write that post actually inspired someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh, that is weird! She's one of my favorite characters in all honesty.
      And Bryce- yeah, I love him. We'd definitely be friends in real life. XD
      Oh, yeah! I loved your post!

      Delete
  2. This looks so interesting, and I love how different your characters all seem :) Hope the writing goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post!! So much fun getting a look into your characters. :D THEY LOOK PRECIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love them. And they are precious :) Except Morris. Mwah ha ha...

      Delete
  4. Ooh it was nice getting to see your characters! I like how they have awesome coloured hair there too. and Winsome is such a cute name!! 🎉🎉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks!! I have no idea where his name came from... like I said, he's been around for years XD And isn't their hair wonderful?

      Delete
  5. Nice to meet your characters!
    There is something familiar about Bryce. He reminds me of several people I know, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't he, though? We all know that person. XD

      Delete
  6. They all look so AWESOME!! :D *flails a little because Lucas looks like Zac Efron* Also, I have a feeling Bryce is going to be my new favorite character... XD
    I'm super curious about this story!! Looks really good! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! Bryce is wonderful. I really like him XD
      I hope you'll like it when I get it done! I'll probs have to self-publish because I don't know what kind of market there is for this kind of book... but we'll roll with it!

      Delete
  7. I love the variety of personalities and looks! I tend to always make my characters too similar but yours are far from that. And oh my gosh, I recently found a new program for making mock covers and would absolutely LOVE to try to make one for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And my goodness, that would be wonderful. I have no experience or talent in that field... so I'd be eternally grateful if you could do that. :)

      Delete
    2. Absolutely!! Just let me know some things about the story - theme/plot/keywords/etc - and I'll get to work on it :)

      Delete
    3. Sure! How would you like me to do that?

      Delete
    4. Do you have my email from your comments information/page? I use Wordpress - not sure how it works on blogger :)

      Delete
    5. I don't think I do? I can check though. If you want you can email me through the contact box.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Your characters are so COOL!!!!! I love the varied personalities. Bryce sounds adorable! :D
    I want to read your book SO BAD now. *cries*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD thanks. Maybe you can beta read ;) I'm glad you like it!

      Delete
    2. You're welcome!
      Seriously?! ME?!?!?!?!?!?! Beta read YOUR book. *sweats nervously*

      Delete
    3. Sure! Why not? (At least in a few weeks or months when it's ready for that XD)

      Delete
    4. *SQUEALS* This is the BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    5. Thank you!!! *glitter and sprinkle cannon explodes* ;))

      Delete
  9. Your character are amazing!
    "If you would be interested in that, please let me know!" ---Does this mean your asking if we want to read it??? Sorry, I'm so dense. Good gravy. Lol
    I can't even do a cover for myself. Neh. Lol, but if I could, I'd do one for you. ;)
    My favorite character so far is....Opal. Her hair, piercings, and her personality....I love it. Lol
    I love these character....things. Lol. Characters are my favorite parts of the stories. Most definitely.
    Keep working at your passion, Faith! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if you're interested in being a beta reader, let me know :)
      I like Opal too. She's strangely fun to write also XD

      Delete
    2. I love writing those kinds of characters. Well, not that I have....but it WOULD be fun.
      That would be a fun experience. I mean, I'm not as great at grammar, but I think I could help with other parts of the story. I mean, I could tell you if anything confuses me as a reader. :)

      Delete
    3. That would be amazing! :) I'll get around to setting something for that up in a month or so. I'd do it sooner but the book is completely unedited :P

      Delete
    4. Well, I can't wait! :)
      I'll be ready for ya. Lol
      I need to finish my manuscript, but editing is going to be.....fun. Yeah, fun. ;)
      Good luck on editing!

      Delete
    5. Isn't editing SOOOOO FUUUUUUNNNNN????
      Thanks! You too!

      Delete
    6. It's......brain wracking, but it is fun. haha
      Your welcome. I still can't forgive myself for ditching so many WIPs....darn. :)

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)