The Language of Worlds//Miss Kariana Winslet

by - April 29, 2019

Hello everyone! Today my post is going to be from the Language of Worlds linkup--I only just barely scraped into this month's, because I've been busy with the WIP special, but that's okay.

I was planning initially on doing this post with Esma, my protagonist, but then realized...despite the fact that she's one of my favorite babies, I very rarely talk about Kariana Winslet, one of my Pentegreen characters. So I decided to do her for this post! If you'd like to know more about Kara, read on!

Hosted by Liv at Liv K. Fisher


1. What's your character's favorite song?

Well, in my storyworld, they don't really have music...but I have to think it would be her theme song, Natural by Imagine Dragons. It sums her up so perfectly and she would love it. 

Kariana's whole playlist

2. What makes their soul thrive?


Her light burned within her, and the scent of the wind in her nostrils lent vigor to her words. “In fact, I swear to you today that as long as I stand, as long as I draw breath, Misue will not fall. Lascogine will not fall. If it comes down to me against the entirety of Dauthang’s army, I will walk away the victor. And when I’ve killed them all…” She let her light flash for an instant. She didn’t finish it out loud, but she thought the remainder of the sentence: I will smile in my victory.



*smiles sheepishly* She'd deny this out loud and it's probably problematic, but she thrives off violence xD as well as light, sleep, tea, and Derek, her best friend.

3. Describe their typical outfit.

Kariana tends to dress in loose-fitting, comfortable clothing that makes movement easy. She wears mostly gray and brown clothes, and usually has a riding coat on. And her makeup is never, ever far from her.

4. What do they look like? (Share a picture, if you will!)

That's the thing...no one knows what Kariana looks like in reality. She's even hidden that from herself, covering her face with layers of makeup and paint. Part of that is for her job--she's a spy--but part of it is because of her shame and deeply hidden secrets.

She looks about like this for a lot of book 1, though:
Credit: Pinterest

5. Who cares most about them?


“I’m so sorry, Kara. If I could, I would take those memories from you and carry them myself. I’d do it in a heartbeat.”
She lit up her hand so that she could see his face. Derek's blue eyes gleamed at her a few feet away, glistening as though with tears.



Derek xD But in terms of people she loves, there's a list, and she repeats it to herself every time she needs centering. Prominent members include Esma Pentegreen, Queen Bernathel and King Martin, Captain Errol Redow, her deceased mother, her missing brother, and...that's about it. XD Although there is one additional person who will be added to that list over the course of the story...

6. Have they been called names beyond their own? (i.e. nicknames, insults, etc.)

Most everyone refers to her as "the spy girl" or just "the spy". A lot of people call her "Miss Winslet," which has been used as a term of respect by some people and as an insult by others. "Kara" is a pretty commonly used nickname for her. And the villains like to swear at her.

7. What is their Hogwarts house and/or MBTI type?

Oh, goodness. Hogwarts house. *scratches chin* If any of y'all think I'm wrong, feel free to correct me, but I almost want to say she's a Slytherin? She's got the cold, cunning, ambition, and smarts for it.

MBTI is easy. She's an ESTJ.

8. Is there a Psalm they identify with? What is it?

I think Kariana is both terrified by and comforted by Psalm 139 ("You search me, you know me...") because it implies that she is known. And that would both be a reassuring thought because she's not an utter mystery, completely alone...but it would also mean that her secrets are completely known to Someone. And that would be terrifying to her heart.

9. How do they handle defeat?

Kariana is used to taking all her emotion, balling it up like a towel, and hurling it somewhere deep into the back of her heart, where it can't get in her way. She's never dealt with grief in a very healthy way. Defeat is similar, and oh, does she suffer some serious defeats in this series. My heart breaks for her. Between betrayals, losses, and feeling like she's never enough, Kariana bears a significant level of the pain I dish out to the characters I like to call my Big Five (aka the main five characters and the ones who get the most POV chapters xD) 

aka the Big Five (all pics from Pinterest)

10. Without spoilers, how are they the hero of this story? 

Oh, goodness, this is SO HARD to answer without spoilers. *bites lips* Let's just say that Kariana's role is huge and vital. She would do ANYTHING for Esma Pentegreen and her family, and she demonstrates that time and again throughout the series. She'd give up everything, anything at all, for them. Her loyalty isn't so much to the city of Misue or the nation of Lascogine, but rather to its rulers. She's strong, stronger than she knows...but she also stands far closer to the edge, tottering ever-closer to falling, than she'd ever admit or even notice. She's so broken, but she pushes on. I love this girl so, so very much (also she keeps trying to take over and BECOME the protagonist and I have to step on her to make her STOP IT NOW).


That's about all for this post! This linkup was so fun and I hope you enjoyed reading about Kara. She really is one of my favorite characters I've ever written xD I've got a couple more Pentegreen posts, and then we'll be returning to actual non-Pentegreen content for a while xD I hope y'all aren't absolutely sick of me talking about those books! Chat with me in the comments about some of YOUR favorite characters in your WIPs. 

You May Also Like

24 comments

  1. AAAAHHHH KARIANA!!! I loved reading more about her. (I agree - she seems like a Slytherin.)

    And those snippets - GAH. That last one is just so SAD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! (Yeah, I definitely think she is one.)

      <3 She's my precious. :'(

      Delete
  2. I could never tire of hearing about this series. I do want to say that you have a type near the beginning the post, though. Under the What Makes Their Soul Thrive... Near the end you wrote Derek, her best friend. It should be Derek, her soul mate and the love of her life. 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good. AND STOPPPP. I mean it. Quit that. *glares at all of you*

      Delete
    2. @Christine: Right?? xD xD

      @Faith: Hey, look, I calls it like I sees it.

      Delete
  3. Wow I relate so much to this character ... prb because I'm ENTJ ... ;0 But there's no music in your world???How is that possible ;0 I'd die without at least an instrument or something ;p Also when you said she doesn't really know what she looks up because of all the makeup I was like, You could really do something there that could speak VOLUMES to modern girls ;)

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's no music really that I talk about much? There is singing, but it's not really a big deal in the story. :P I'd die without music toooo. And yes, that's totally one of the things that I want to talk about in the book! ;)

      Delete
  4. Oops, I totally forgot about the Language of Worlds linkup! Excuse me, it looks like I have a post to write XD XD

    As a Slytherine, I gladly welcome Kariana into my Hogwarts house ;D

    I loved reading more about Kariana, and also, LONG LOST BROTHER????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I forgot to mention who my favorite character is, but at the moment it's actually Olivia. And I find that mildly surprising XD

      Delete
    2. YES DO IT. *knows that you've already done it* *will comment soon*

      TAKE HER AND WELCOME. *shoves her at you*

      Don't read too much into that, he's not all that important.

      (And YESSSS you're appreciating my Olivia love! <3)

      Delete
  5. KARIANAAAAA. I got SO excited when I saw this post on my dashboard. YES YES YES! Gimme ALL the Kariana thiiings. And all the Pentegreen things. I NEVER get tired of it!

    This was all so fascinating. And heartbreaking. POOR KARA. She's such a complex, broken character. My heart hurts for her.

    Okay, but that snippet in #5 just ALKDJLFJLJSLJDLKJF. THE BBYS.

    BUT HOLD. UP. Missing brother???????? WHAT WHAT WHAAAT? :O

    When I saw question #7, before I even read your answer, I was like, "SLYTHERIN." She's the slytherest slytherin. 100% YES. And we love her for it. XD

    (Wait, who is the third girl in the Big Five collage besides Esma and Kara? Do I know this person???)

    I JUST LOVE HER SO MUCH!!!! THIS POST WAS THE BEST! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGH YOU MAKE ME SO HAPPY <3 <3 <3

      She's so complex and it kills me sometimes xD I'm not really sure how she keeps it all together. Oh well. :/

      I KNOW. *bawls*

      Don't read too much into that xD It's not that important. XD XD

      Okay, excellent. I thought so. ;) I love her for it too xD

      (You do NOT know her! Mwahahaha.)

      THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! <33333

      Delete
  6. Kariana! Love her so much!
    Definitely see her as a Slytherin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeeps!!!! This characters sounds...amazing...AWESOMETASTIC! I REALLY want to purchase your books when they're published now. xD Also...nah, I could NEVER get tired of your tidbits on your books; they're what I live for!! LOL

    My characters? Yeesh...they ALL hold my heart in some way or the other (you know how that is), but I really like Jasmine and Montana from Death Valley and Ice and Veil (though the book isn't even officially getting written at the moment) from Mindspeech.

    ~ Lily Cat (Boots) | lilycatscountrygirlconfessions.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thank you so much! <3

      Oh, I definitely know how that is! <3 They sound so cool!

      Delete
  8. IT'S KARA. IT'S KARAAAAA.

    I love her so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. PSALM 139!!!!! I so connect with that one so much. Love it!

    My baby Kara. I love her relationship with Derek. The way they support each other and know what makes each other tick is so cool! We need more of those friendships in books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Psalm too! <3

      Yes! Their friendship is one of my favorite things in my book ^_^

      Delete
  10. "I have to step on her to make her STOP IT NOW." xD Picturing you stepping on your characters.

    Kariana sounds so interesting! And of course we'd never tire of you talking about these books. ;D

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very accurate image, tbh. xD

      Thank you! And awww, you're too sweet. :)

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)