REINTRODUCING THE OLD PROJECTS: I start querying?

by - January 16, 2023

 Hello guys! I know I said second Mondays were going to be flash fiction, but I'm giving myself a brief window of time to prep some stories before I start posting them. As a result, I'm going to switch weeks for January and discuss my current main project, Holding Up the Sky!




A world where the sky could crumble at any moment and only the power of music checks it. A world where magic runs rampant, controlled by white robes and powerful glances. A world where blood is your currency.
Dulci lives alone in a tower. Her very existence is illegal, for she is a Player, tasked with holding up the sky—but no one knows she is alive. In an arsenal of musicians, she may well be the most valuable member. If only she were free…
Daverby, a young gang lord, roams the poor quarters of the city with his found family, always on the lookout for more money. When he and his gang are hired to find a threat to their world’s very existence, they brace for the worst of fights. None of them could have expected to find the threat in the form of a young, terrified girl who has no idea why they’re looking for her.
A world at stake… a lonely girl… and a desperate gang of assassins who just need to eat for another day.
The song must continue.

This little story has my heart. It's about piano music that keeps the entire world safe. It's about magic carpets, a world where blood is currency, and portals to other worlds. It's very high-concept and very fairy-tale retelling. It has lots of tropes. 

And my big news is that I'm going to be querying it!

I've queried once in the past, mostly to small presses, with a very old version of The King's Daughter. I pulled it because a gut feeling said it was the wrong time, and I'm so very thankful I did--I needed that book, and it needed time to become what it's becoming now. But I'm ready to dive back into the querying waters with a much lighter and less personal story.

It's been a LONG time since I've shared anything about this story, so here are the characters!

Daverby//laughter is medicine//I hate emotions//is anyone else suspicious?//gold//insults for self protection//brokenness//exhaustion//all i have is my hair//angel with a shotgun, the cab


Emery//grew up too fast//little pink flowers//beauty to tempt fate//oldest sister//fights for love//no friends, only family//loneliness//journey, natasha blume


Drex//self sacrifice//we'll win, don't worry//always the optimist//guns//magic carpets//a purple vest//in need of help//whispering magic//young and beautiful, lana del rey

Dulci//afraid//music in fingertips//life in a tower//never cut her hair//scared smile//a whole new world//love is worth the fight//atlas, coldplay


(this art is actually Tarek; credit to @inscape.studio for this amazing art!)

Tarek//musician forever//never certain//broken hand, broken boy//strange//flute and piano//just one yesterday, fall out boy


Lissa//music in the soul//lost voice//lost hope//this world is unforgiving//bright eyes//red hair//sadness runs deep//starlight, starset


Malice//the little brother//always alone//uncertain//mom and dad are gone//what happens next//animals love him//always a bright tomorrow//winter of our youth, bastille


Talia//it's hard to be a criminal//wanted//never needed//why fit in when you were born to stand out//found family//protect what's yours//breath of life, florence + the machine


That's the post! I'm so excited to be moving forward with sharing this story with the world, and I hope you enjoyed this peek at it :) Chat with me down below! What are you working on right now on the WIP front?

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. EEP. I am so ecstatic to hear you're going to be querying this one!!! I vividly remember you first talking about this story because I was utterly fascinated and enchanted by the concept. Seriously, it sounds like one of THE most beautiful, epic, original plots ever. I instantly fell in love with the whole thing just from your descriptions. This is just so wonderful you're querying it. Cheering you on every step of the way! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. ACKKK YESSSS I'M SO EXCITED!!! I have read every version of this book and I just can't WAIT to put it on my shelf and post it all over instagram!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So exciting! Querying honestly sounds really scary, but I hope it goes well for you!
    I love the premise of this story (piano music! fantastic!), and all the characters look fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DUDE THIS SO EXCITING!!! All the blessings for your querying! I can't wait to see this book on shelves!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)