Know the Novel Part 3: EDITS PREP

by - December 15, 2022

 HELLO EVERYBODY!!! I am here to share once again about my book from the fall, Knife in the Back, and this time I've got the very exciting update of FINISHING IT. This book has my heart, so I'm super excited to share more about the WRITING PROCESS ACCCKKKK.

Without further ado, let's jump into the Know the Novel tag! This is part three, where we celebrate the end of a writing challenge (NaNoWriMo-ish for me, but I was trying to write 30k...which I did ;))


The Tag

1. How did writing this novel go all around?

It was honestly so. Fun.

I don't usually write much during the school year, but prioritizing my books made it go SO much better and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. Absolutely thrilled. This is the most fun I've had writing a book in a LONG time. 

Granted, I did have a lot of mental breakdowns over this story--it's the opener to a six-book series, which will be spanning about 10 POV characters and a global conflict. This series has gotten HUGE and I suspect it will only get bigger as I figure out conflicts for my side characters. However, I'm finally on the road to figuring all of that out and I can't WAIT to jump into the next few books and explore my characters' minds more thoroughly.


2. Did it turn out as you expected or completely different? How do you feel about the outcome?

The outcome of this book was about what I expected--I set the climax up from the beginning and NOTHING could stop it from getting to that point, no matter what my characters tried. However, some things have worked out differently. A pair of characters I thought were absolutely going to end up as a couple have now drifted in opposite directions in life, and I'm...not as mad about it as I would've expected. Just MORE space to develop all of this as the story goes along *mysterious smile*

Additionally, one of my characters needs to get his act together and be at least a LITTLE likable. His fate isn't the smack in the gut I want it to be unless the reader cares about him, and...currently no one cares about him, not even me. Haha. Help.


3. What aspect of the story did you love writing about the most? (Characters, plot, setting, prose, etc.)

I LOVE my setting and storyworld, but it needs a LOT more work before it can be an actual story. It's not quite working as well as I was hoping, but I really love it, and I think I know how to fix it all. 

My characters, though. While their arcs need some strengthening, I am in LOVE with all six of my POV characters (well, five of them at least), and I am a huge huge fan of their arcs.


4. What was your least favorite part?

Probably never being sure how the arcs were going to end up >.< It's hard to write when you don't know much! And my characters kept shifting their outcomes. But I'm almost as stubborn as they are, and I decided I WAS going to get them there, no matter WHAT it took.


5. What do you feel needs the most work?

Probably setting. I really want this storyworld to feel like a real place--a city built on a canal, divided into five sectors, each with its own distinctions. I did almost nothing with that this time, and edits need to make that a much stronger distinction.


6. How do you feel about your characters now? Who’s your favorite? Least favorite? Anyone surprise you? Give us all the details!

My favorite is probably Aver. He's my small bean and he just does not want to be here--but he's turned into the secret piece that will propel the entire series forward. He's into the sciences, health, and medicine--and his explorations will, quite literally, spur on the entire rest of the plot. He's my little sarcastic Done wonderboy and I love him with my entire soul.

Least favorite: Annie, at this point, because it's just so hard to nail her POV. Her scenes are probably the closest to correct in terms of what happens in them and where they fall, but I somehow don't think any of them will stay, because I need to get her voice right if I'm going to sell her as a character. She's a strange little thing, but she's also my villain, so I need her to work.


7. What’s your next plan of action with this novel?

I'm going to let it stew for a little while and then I am going to LAUNCH edits like missiles. Just kidding. But also...this is a book I want to see DONE, and I want it to work. I'm going to be spending a lot of time in 2023 editing, getting this sent to my critique partner, and writing new scenes. 

Overall: Writing this whole thing has been really hard, but I'm so excited to figure it out and write it in a smooth, complete way.


8. If you could have your greatest dream realized for this novel, what would it be?

Publication! And in a way that allows me to do the series in EXACTLY the way I want it to be ^_^ It's a complex web but if I'm allowed to do it the way I want it to go....ooh BABY it's going to be epic.

9. Share some of your favorite snippets!

Aver shook his head and started up the stairs.

Years ago, he’d graduated from this institution with honors and an invention that could save lives… if he could only prove that it would work. He just hadn’t done it fast enough. Most people didn’t finish until they were twenty-two; he’d finished at nineteen, and he’d done everything he could. The stack in his room of top marks papers haunted his every moment.

All the knowledge in the world lurked in the books kept in this place. All the knowledge in the world, his to consume—but it hadn’t been enough. None of it had been enough. He clutched his notebook closer to distract himself from his thoughts.

The doors were heavy. He jerked it open with his free hand and entered the main hall. No one in the room knew who he really was. He was nothing but a student in here, another face in the crowd. His discoveries weren’t special to anyone but his professors, and he didn’t have many friends in here.

Two perfect worlds. One of perfect anonymity where his accomplishments were honored by only the people he wanted to know. Another world where he was everything and his job was to be the perfect backup to a perfect man. Friends of a certain kind. He’d built up two different families for himself.

~
Estelle started up the alley. She had to get out of here, to find a way to freedom. Her heart was shattering slowly, another shard flying off with every step she took. Everything hurt, but she dragged her leg after herself. She just had to get out of the city. If she could find a way out, she could reach the coast and create her own life. No more killing. No more fighting. She could be free, blissfully free.
She walked toward the street and hooked a sharp left. People were everywhere, ordinary people going from building to building, about their days. It was early enough that the streets were not crowded. Only a few people were roaming as she turned onto another street, away from the shops and into a more residential part of town.
Her neck tingled as she walked. So many windows were dark, and curtains were drawn. Fewer and fewer people surrounded her on the street. The cobblestones on the street were loud under her feet: ba-shush. Every step echoed through the empty houses and their dark windows.
Estelle cast a glance around. Her hair stood up along her arms, and her power grew stronger in her fingers. What if she was being followed? She had run too far, and she hadn’t been paying attention last night. 
~
“You coming, Whisper?” Tristan’s voice broke the silence. He jumped and looked around. A group of businessmen in tall hats had appeared around the corner. They walked together,  talking loudly of the weather and their jobs. 
Aver coughed and nodded. “Yes, sir. Apologies. I was thinking of mother again.”
Tristan walked to his side and clapped a hand against his shoulder. Time was of the utmost, but somehow Lord Darkfire was his friend and was willing to waste time consoling him. This was not something he would ever be willing to take for granted.
“Believe me,” Tristan murmured, “I know. And I know it doesn’t help to dwell in the past and the could have beens. We move forward, my friend. We chase the future we want now, because we are young and we have the whole world at our feet. For now, that means conquest of this city, and also finding Estelle. Are you ready?”
Aver took in a deep breath. “Yes.” Curse Tristan and his infernal words of encouragement. “Yes. I’m ready.”
Tristan smiled and pointed into the city. “My heart tells me we continue straight ahead,” he said. “We’ll find her. I have no doubt of it.”
Aver stared upward, at the streets upon streets of houses, all below the height of the castles walls in some sort of misplaced reverence for the king. He took in a deep breath and nodded. So many roofs. So many houses. So many people who didn’t know what it meant to have hope.
Maybe it was still out there for him. Doubtful…but maybe.

10. Did you glean any new writing and/or life lessons from writing this novel?

You CAN write even in the busiest seasons of life. It just takes prioritizing. 

It does not take me a super long time to write 1,000 words, so that's been my goal daily for this novel, and I've never had to write above 1-3,000 words. But it took three months to get through the whole book, and I'm pretty excited about that. I can totally do that again, no matter how much school I'm taking. 

Lesson learned: If I can write a 106,000 word novel in 3 months during my hardest semester so far, I can totally do that again.

Tell me about your writing in the comments! How did NaNo/fall writing projects go for y'all? Chat with me down below! <3

You May Also Like

5 comments

  1. Ah, excited for you!!
    I find I write best in my busiest seasons (currently on a five month road trip, doing tons of sewing and helping with a baby and working on two novels plus short stories).

    having that climax in mind to work toward is what it's all about for me too!!

    thesocialporcupine.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh that's awesome! Sounds crazy, but so fulfilling too!!!

      Delete
  2. Eeeeee Faith!!! I am SO SO happy you landed on a book that has become so dear to you. That is the best feeling. And everything you have shared about this just sounds AH-MAY-ZING. Totally soaking up these snippets. Your characters and their emotions always just fly right off the pages.

    And that is absolutely incredible that you wrote the whole thing during your hardest semester. JUST. So, so amazing!!!

    Allllll the congrats of ever for making it to the end of this one! I do hope the edits go spectacularly. Cheering you on all the way. We need a Faith book out in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! I'm so so excited too ^_^

      Thank you! It's been rough but like...AHHHH I'm writing again! So excited!

      Eep your encouragement means so much ^_^ Thank you!

      Delete
  3. super proud of you. you've got this!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)