My Characters As Taylor Swift Songs: Knife in the Back Edition

by - November 29, 2022

Hello everybody! Big news today: I finished writing Knife in the Back on November 20th (and it clocked in at a WHOPPING 106k)!


I'm super excited to share this with y'all, and I decided that rather than doing my standard book finishing post, I'm going to do something a little different. That post is coming soon, but it will take a long time for me to write, so instead...in honor of Midnights, let's assign each of the MCs from this book a Taylor Swift song!

(There is no album criteria here. I just picked the song I felt picked each of the leads, haha. There's DEFINITELY room for debate here!)



Estelle--Haunted (Speak Now)


This song is about running away, about doomed love, and about the desperation that comes with grieving someone who's still physically present, but emotionally already long gone. Estelle fits that to a T. She's hopeful, but she also doesn't know what she wants from life, and she's desperate to find herself. However, her search for individuality and her own purpose is at conflict with her love, and she's constantly making the choice between those things as the story progresses.

Runner-Up: Midnight Rain from Midnights; Wildest Dreams from 1989



Dantyl-- Maroon (Midnights)


Dantyl is the king in this story (and also the king of bad choices). He really just wants to be loved and not feel alone, and he resents his loneliness and the struggles he's had his whole life with making friends. The pain of uncertainty, trying to make things right but failing, and falling apart is super present in this song, and I think Dantyl would vibe with it.

Runner-Ups: Wonderland from 1989, Red from Red


Aver--this is me trying (folklore)


Accomplishing so much but still feeling like a burned-out washout? If that doesn't describe Aver, I don't know what does. The kid has an inferiority complex and struggles to understand what his place is in the world, but more importantly, he's stuck in the knowledge that he could always be doing more. Like Taylor in this song, he's struggling, but the only person he knows about that is him. 

Runner-Ups: Come Back...Be Here from Red; Death by a Thousand Cuts from Lover


Tristan--The Last Time (Red)


Ever just wanted to give up on love? Yeah, that's Tristan. Like Snow Patrol guy, he keeps insisting he's not going to keep trying. He doesn't want to be here. He doesn't WANT to care about the people in his life--but as it turns out, he has little choice. His heart is treacherous, and no matter how cold he tries to be, he's still going to feel. He's terrible at backing off.

Runner-Ups: Cruel Summer from Lover; The Great War from Midnights


Annie--I Did Something Bad (reputation)


Annie's the villain of this story, so obviously she's going to get the girlboss villain song. Annie likes to mess with people, but she's also not all there, so while she's fully out here thinking that people are in love with her, half the time she's just projecting her own hopes onto people. She also, like the title of this song, really likes to do bad things for the thrill of it. 

Runner-Ups: mad woman from foklore, Gorgeous from reputation


Zayn--The Archer (Lover)


"Who could ever leave me...but who could stay?" If you're looking to find out how Zayn feels about himself and the way people see him, look no further than this song. Zayn is a mess, and this song is too, asking all the questions about ourselves we don't really want to ask. But as the story progresses, Zayn will find that he's not actually alone in the world--he's worthy of friendship and love, and that's an important truth I'm excited to get to communicate. 

Runner-Ups: I Knew You Were Trouble. from Red; Treacherous from Red



You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. I can't stand Taylor, but I think some of these fit pretty well 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave Tristan the Snow Patrol Guy song so you can at least be happy about that ^_^

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)