2018 IS ALREADY HALFWAY OVER???????//Jan-June Wrapup

by - June 29, 2018

EDIT: PARDON THE MISLEADING TITLE. THIS IS A FIRST HALF OF THE YEAR WRAPUP HAHA WE'RE NOT CONFUSED AS TO HOW LONG THIS YEAR HAS BEEN AT ALL.


OKAY, SOMEONE TELL TIME TO STOP GOING SO FAST, WOULD YA?! O_O

Half of this year is already gone, which is both crazy and completely believable. I am here to tell you all about my year so far!!!!!! It's been great and fun and difficult and mind-blowing. Let's talk my life for a little while. You know you want to.

Music

Image result for sam tinnesz babel

Sam Tinnesz is an artist I hadn't heard of before, and I give all the credit to Ry for introducing me to his work. Epicness, y'all. One of his songs in particular--even if it hurts--is pretty much my New Favorite. So good. Definitely check him out if you haven't yet.


I found Fleurie thanks to Ivie, so a huge shout-out to her for introducing me!!! Her music is soulful and epic, and I like to listen to it before bed. Hurricane and Sirens are my two personal favorite songs by her. 


Image result for save rock and roll

Fall Out Boy (and this album in particular) have been my absolute favorite band the last couple of months. Their sound (and again, especially on this album) is one of my favorite things of ever.



Image result for resurrection letters volume 1
Andrew Peterson, perhaps my favorite Christian artist of all time, has released this album, as well as its prelude, this year. I absolutely love it. Give it a listen. 

Do you follow me on Spotify yet? #ShamlessSelfPromo (get used to it...I'm making a couple of plugs in this post ;)) If not, here is my totally 100% epic profile, and you should definitely follow me and check out a couple of my playlists:

I have way more music than this that I've been listening to this year...but that would take over this whole post, and while I'd be more than happy to do a big post on my top hits this year at some point...THAT POST IS NOT THIS DAY.

Instead, I shall move on to:

Books

*sighs* So it seems that in the past few months I have turned into that picky reader I swore never to become. Most of my recent reads have been 2- or 3-star books. I've enjoyed a handful--but for the most part, they've been either beta reads or rereads of books I loved enough to buy. *sobs* 

However! I have found a handful of truly excellent books, which I shall now share with you. ^_^ 

30025336
via Goodreads
This may be the best book so far this year, and for good reason. I've never loved Stiefvater (I wasn't a huge fan of Scorpio Races when I read it, and from complaints about the level of language in Raven Cycle I might not be getting to that one any time soon...) but this book. It's almost clean. It's atmospheric. It's the story of three cousins in a desert, one of whom is tasked with providing miracles to pilgrims who come through seeking them. The worldview can be a wee bit interesting occasionally, but it's SO GOOD and I would 153493583% recommend.




30809677
via Goodreads
So I actually bought a hardcover of this book (WHHHAAAAAAT) and it is gorgeous. I picked it up on a whim from the library because I'd seen one or two reviews of it on Goodreads and knew the author's name (this is still the only work of hers I've read, but I'm desperately trying to remember to remedy that). What a pleasant surprise. This book is shocking, swoon-worthy, and beautiful, taking a lot of common tropes from YA and flipping them in fresh and awesome new ways. <3 



38328894
via Goodreads
I'm on the amazing Taylor Bennett's street team, and man is this book amazing. I got to read an ARC before the book came out, and it was so good that I bought it as soon as it was available in paperback. <3 This is the story of a girl stranded in Hawaii, torn between her need to help a new friend and her need to get back home. (And also her journey to find Christ in the midst of that.) It's SO GOOD and I absolutely recommend it.

I don't have a ton of five-star books so far this year, unfortunately...there's a few others that I've given five stars rounded up from 4.5 (and I have a number of those), but if you check me out on Goodreads you'll be able to find the rest of those. :P 


Movies

In the theater:

Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, Isaach De Bankolé, Martin Freeman, Michael B. Jordan, Andy Serkis, Chadwick Boseman, Danai Gurira, Lupita Nyong'o, Daniel Kaluuya, and Letitia Wright in Black Panther (2018)
via IMDb
Fast-paced//diverse//strong women//sass//fascinating villain//PANTHERS//oh did I mention T'Challa//Lion-King parallels//epicness


Don Cheadle, Robert Downey Jr., Josh Brolin, Paul Bettany, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Olsen, Chris Pratt, Mark Ruffalo, Zoe Saldana, Benedict Wong, Anthony Mackie, Chris Hemsworth, Dave Bautista, Benedict Cumberbatch, Chadwick Boseman, Sebastian Stan, Danai Gurira, Karen Gillan, Pom Klementieff, Letitia Wright, and Tom Holland in Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
via IMDb
Watched x2//HOW DARE YOU DO THIS TO MY HEART//the rabbit//Mr. Stark I don't feel so good//I wouldn't say no to a tuna melt//it'll kill you! (Only if I die)//why is Gamora//I am Steve Rogers//Okoye wants Starbucks//I LITERALLY SCREAMED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MOVIE THEATER//Drax should not be on this poster because he's invisible//Thor is my new favorite//I just have a lot of feels okay


Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton, Donald Glover, Alden Ehrenreich, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Emilia Clarke, and Joonas Suotamo in Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)
via IMDb
He's not a scoundrel//shooting first//the Kessel run//SJW droid//oh THAT'S how he met Chewie?//should've learned something from Interstellar about black holes//ugh Darth Maul AGAIN//Woody Harrelson is awesome//I don't want my Star Wars for grown-ups please//still weirdly fun though? 

At home:

Fionn Whitehead in Dunkirk (2017)
via IMDb
Super confusing//BUT THE BOAT CAPTAIN//heroic pilots//cowardly land soldiers//the balancing act of three timelines that WORKS//anti-heroism succeeding where Red Badge of Courage failed//thought-provoking//hopeful


Gary Oldman in Darkest Hour (2017)
via IMDb
SO GOOD//definitely deserved the Best Picture//a beautiful picture of leadership//Gary Oldman in makeup and WOW YOU'D NEVER KNOW IT//like that's Sirius????//Lily James//the most rousing victory speech of all time//<3


Christian Bale and Tom Wilkinson in Batman Begins (2005)
via IMDb
Super dark and gritty//Liam Neeson//Michael Cane as Alfred is the best though//too many villains IMO//true heroes wear capes please and thank you//BECAUSE HE'S BATMAN


And a few others, of course...but no new ones, and only a couple that were particularly of note.



Writing

Ummm...I may or may not have written two massive novels so far this year (more about that in this post: HERE). Between those two I've written 350,000 words so far this year (SOCIAL LIFE? WHAT SOCIAL LIFE? I HAVE NO LIFE). 

I'm also starting book three, which...will be fun. *cries* 

I'm writing that one for Camp, and I'll probably do a post all about it at the end of July to let you know how I did and what my word count was and maybe share some snippets (if there's ANYTHING at ALL that isn't spoilery...argh). I've started it already, so here's a snippet from the first 10k: 



“I’m—I’m okay.” Was she? She was no longer in her body. She floated somewhere beyond this place, above the forest, above them all, where she could see a boy and two girls, one of whom wore her face. But that couldn’t possibly be her. She was far away, soaring on wings like a bird’s into the forest. Grief and pain could not touch her; they no longer existed.

Maybe she no longer existed.
That didn’t sound so bad.
Because if he was gone—
It was because of her.


I also edited another draft of my novella Ink Storm, now entitled Sweat and Gold (shoutout to my dear friend Julian for suggesting that title!), and I'm hoping to submit that to a couple of magazines in the near future. 

Have a snippet from that!

            Revitalized by this moment of silence and the chance to breathe, she brought her pen down on the page.
            She was never sure how it happened. Was a part of her ripped off from herself and sucked into the journal, or was the story somehow lifted out of the journal into her bedroom? Either way, she went spinning into the void, clouds and trees whirling past like she rode one of the rarest breeds of Spinning Dragons, with no indication as to whether she or they were stationary.
            Her feet hit the ground.
            She rubbed her eyes and strained into the dark of the trees around her. No rain, only black fog over the sun. Darkness. The Forces of Evil were near.
            Her dark hands slid into her leather gloves. She shoved them into her pockets and squeezed her pen. The only thing that would pry that pen from her hand was if the Forces of Evil truly won. She never let go of it.
            Ever.



Life

Here's the boring part xD 

Well, for the most part I've had no life of late. Writing, music, hanging out with my family, and other such things have been taking up most of my time. I'm volunteering at my library again, so that's been fun of late ^_^



via GIPHY

I've also gotten a job! So please pray that goes well. :P 

I got my permit this month, and I'm working on securing an editing/pro-life internship (IT'S PERFECT SO PLEASE PRAY FOR THAT). A lot of big things have been happening, most of them awesome and exciting. 

I also got a Pinterest (HERE) and an Instagram (my handle is @faiththompsonauthor). It would make my day if you wanted to give me a follow on either of those! 




This has been my year so far! I hope you enjoyed reading this post, and now it's your turn--tell me about your year so far! New artists, favorite books, best movies, life accomplishments, writing goals--anything! Chat with me, lovelies!!! Who's doing Camp this coming month?????




You May Also Like

26 comments

  1. *catches LOTR reference*
    Ooooh Yes Black Panther and INFINITY WAR!!! Although honestly I still don’t know what to make of the ending of the latter.
    Wow, you have been a writing Machine! (That’s a compliment. :) ) And THOSE SNIPPETS!! I can’t wait until you get published because you have talent, Faith.
    I will be praying for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;)

      They're both so good! I know, I hate the ending...but I think it'll all be okay in the sequel. This being the middle installment we have to lose all hope. XD

      Thank you! And oh my goodness, thank you SO much. <3 I can't wait til I'm published either. <3

      Thanks, Rachael!

      Delete
  2. ALL THE CROOKED SAINTS!!!!! All the heart-eyes. And Black Panther is probs my fav movie of the year. It's such a quality movie. I am dying (haha *sob*) to see Avengers 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it SO GOOD???? That book.... *sighs with love*

      And Black Panther was just too good. I can't even tell you how much I love it. Avengers 4...May 2019 can't get here soon enough. :P

      Delete
  3. SWEAT AND GOLD!!!! Seriously, I LOVE THAT STORY!!!! (And I'm flattered you went with the title...it just seemed to fit, y'know?)

    Hey, getting your permit is awesome. Next step up is driving on your own. Then it's driving with a horse trailer. Then it's backing a horse trailer mwahahahah.

    I still have yet to see a Batman movie. I have no idea why, it's not like I'm against DC or anything.... Just never seems to come up, I guess. I've actually been watching the newer Star Trek movies in VidAngel, that's been fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does fit! Thank you so much for suggesting it ^_^

      Oh my word O_O That...sounds exciting for sure! XD I don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity to back a horse trailer, but I'll eagerly await that day. xD

      That's still the only Batman I've seen. And ooh, Star Trek on VidAngel! That sounds AWESOME. <3

      Delete
  4. Love all of that music, you have great taste. I need to read All the Crooked Saints. I've been seeing it all over.
    That's a lot of words, wow! Great snippets, I'm intrigued by both your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes, you do need to read it <3

      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. How ARE we halfway through the year?????????? THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. Someone call the police. Something fishy is going on! >.>

    I really, really want to try All the Crooked Saints. I'm glad to hear it's cleaner. I've always wanted to read a Stiefvater book, but her Raven Cycle does seem to be riddled with language and stuff, so I've decided to avoid those. But this one I may have to get! :D I've also been wanting to read a Jennifer A. Nielsen book myself. I've heard all of hers are amazing. And I definitely need Taylor's book! EEP. All the lovely reads!

    Your summary of Infinity War made me laugh SO HARD. It's completely accurate though. "Why is Gamora?" "Drax should not be on this poster because he's invisible." Oh gosh. That movie. So many emotions! Black Panther was also amazing, and I love the Christian Bale Batman trilogy. I haven't seen the other movies on your list, but they're all things I'd like to watch someday.

    GOOD GRACIOUS ALIVE, FAITH, YOU'VE ALREADY WRITTEN SO MANY WORDS. And we're only halfway through the year! O.o YOU. ARE. A. NINJA.
    AND DOSE SNIPPETS. *clutches heart* I love them so, so, so, so, sooooooo much. You have a gorgeous writing voice!

    Congrats on getting a job!!! And EEP. A editing/pro-life internship?? That IS so very perfect for you. I will absolutely be praying!

    I'm following you on Pinterest now! :D I'm a Pinterest addict. I seriously have a problem. Lol.

    Anyways, loved this update. Here's to a fantastic second half of the year! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think this year deserves ALL the speeding tickets.

      It's so clean, which is lovely. There's one character who's a bit of a potty mouth, but other than him and his language (which is mostly minor stuff...only one s-word in the whole book!) it's pretty much completely clean. <3 Both of those authors...YES. You needs them ALL. ;)

      That was my feelings on it! XD (and apparently most of the fandom's...which I didn't realize I was a part of until that movie. Whoops. XD)

      I KNOW! I really can't believe it myself. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have such a love-hate relationship with my own writing that seeing other people's opinions literally blows my mind. xD THANK YOU!

      And I appreciate the prayer SO MUCH. Eep.

      Awesome, thank you! I'm a pinterest addict too...don't feel too bad. xD

      Thank you, Christine! I hope the remainder of 2018 is wonderful for you, too. <3

      Delete
  6. How'd I miss this post in my feed? Love your wrap up! And Fleurie is so EPIC!! Excited to see where the Lord takes you! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows? XD You've been busy, so it's okay. Fleurie is the best! :D

      Delete
  7. Amazing music choices! Andrew's album is so good!!

    Awww, don't do that to me with the "Mr. Stark I don't feel so good" :'(

    I hope you have a great July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing?????

      I know. I thought about not putting it...but then I did anyway. *sobs*

      Thanks! You too! <3

      Delete
  8. I can't believe that... *shakes head* 2018 has gone by so fast.

    I think a pretty good summary of 2018 for me would be in three words. Graduation. College. Writing.

    You're word count so far is... it's pretty stupendous. You got me curious so I added up my current word count so far in my various WIPs (I had a number until I remembered my Sci-Fi story, my Top Secret Project, and A Feast of Starlight so I had to add it all up again- why do I have so many WIPs?). Anyway, it's 262,397 words. You're still beating me by about 100,000 words. *glares* Nah, I'm just kidding. You're word count is AMAZING!

    Also, you got a job??? That's awesome! Where?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't it????

      *nods* That sounds right from what you've said. :P

      Thank you! And that's seriously good too, so don't beat yourself up by any means.

      Dunkin' Donuts, if all goes well ^_^

      Delete
  9. Wait, 2018 is half over? Yikes, so it is!
    I found Andrew Peterson's Resurrection Letters just in time for Resurrection Sunday. It's a great album- I'll gladly listen regardless of the season.
    I hope you get that amazing-sounding internship!
    But, honestly now, how and why is half the year over?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's...kind of terrifying to be quite frank!

      It's such a good album, and I think i'll be listening to it all year ^_^

      Me too! Thanks!

      I KNOW...SPEAK NOT OF THIS

      Delete
  10. I can't believe it is already July 1st!!!!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
  11. *cough* This is a PSA: coughOkoyeNeedsHerStarbucksASAPcough

    And YES FALL OUT BOY. It's hilarious because museum security didn't know how to react when my friend and I belted out their songs in the fandom exhibit... FOB's the best. xD

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | Ups & Downs (now at Story-Eyed!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *claps* AMEN.

      That's awesome. I love FOB so much...that sounds amazing <3

      Delete
  12. Fall Out Boy is one of my most FAVORITE bands ever. I especially like I Know What Your Songs Did in the Dark. SO GOOD. :D

    INFINITY WAR AAAGGGHHH YES TO EVERYTHING YOU SAID. "I LITERALLY SCREAMED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MOVIE THEATER" <~ SAME GIRL, SAME. O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them just too much <3

      And my friend was like beating my arm to get me to shut up...I just couldn't stop crying. :(

      Delete
  13. I know right, LIKE HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT TIME MOVES LIKE THIS?!

    Oh, I want to read all of those books so much! The first one is at my library--I will get it eventually. The other two... we'll see, I guess. Maybe I'll buy them sometime.

    BLACK PANTHER AND INFINITY WAR. Like, I love the way you formed those descriptions. All the references are fantastic! Drax, lol

    Solo looks pretty good, but I haven't seen it yet.

    Praying! And best of luck!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)