The Get to Know Me Tag: Writer's Edition!

by - June 22, 2018



I was tagged for this loveliness by Savannah (definitely give her a follow if you  haven't already, she's AMAZING :D)

RULES

   - link back to the person who created the tag -
   - thank the person who tagged you - 
   - share the tag graphic  
   - tag eleven bloggers -  


Vital Stats and Appearances:


Name: R.F. Gammon (Yes! I have a new pen name! You can still call me either Faith or Florid Sword, though.)

Nicknames: My sisters and mom call me Fee. My dad has called me "rascal" or "rascalation" for as long as I can remember. I remember I tried to go by "Raft" for a little while, but it fizzled out. (I'd still be cool with going by that now, but....probably not going to happen. :P) 

Birthday: April 16th

Hair color and length: Chestnut brown, shoulder length.

Eye color: Honey

Braces/piercings/tattoos: Used to have braces, but got them off a year and a half ago (YES!) I had earrings, but had to let the holes close up thanks to infection *glares at hereditary allergies* No tattoos.

Righty or lefty: Righty :D

Ethnicity: Caucasian, a lot of it German. 

Firsts:


First novel written: Well, if we're counting what I used to think of as novels....my little 30-page story The Tunnel. If we're going off of ACTUAL word counts.... *goes to check*

Well, I wrote a book called "The Dragonfly Queen" that is basically a mass of typos and has no plot when I was 13. I never finished it, but I did succeed in getting it to 50,000 words. Then there's "The King's Daughter, Version 2" (back when it was called "The Sword of the First One"). I hand-wrote that one over the course of the year, but by doing some math I was able to average its word count to something like 80,000 words. So it may well be that one. *awkward smile* 

First novel completed: "King's Daughter Version 1," a.k.a. "With This Sword"!!!!!!

Award for writing: Ahhhh, I don't know! Have I gotten any awards for my writing? *wracks brains, trying to remember* 

Publication: I was published in "New Moon Girls Magazine" with a little non-fiction piece I wrote on dancing. I think, so far, that's my only publication.

Conference: *glares and doesn't stop* I WILL GO TO REALM MAKERS. IT WILL HAPPEN. I SWEAR THIS. 

Query or pitch: Also none yet, but I'm planning to remedy that once I've done some seriously hardcore editing on King's Daughter! *winces* 


Favorites:


Novel that you wrote: Oh, sheesh....I've written a lot of novels that I really love, but I think King's Daughter (version 4) (the one that y'all got all those lovely posts about) holds a very special place in my heart. It's my brainchild, finally coming together, with some of my favorite characters I've ever written. Just love it so much. <3 (Although I think that one of the later books in that same series may well usurp that position, thanks to SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS....*evil cackle*)

Genre: Speculative, as Savannah said! Fantasy, really creative dystopia, and alternate history, especially. Those are the ones I write and that I just really love to read. <3

Author: TOO MANY! Let me give you a couple:
>Andrew Peterson
>Anne Elisabeth Stengl
>Tricia Mingerink
>J.R.R. Tolkein

Writing Music: My friends Ry and Izzy introduced me to the wonderful Sam Tinnesz, and lately I've been listening to a TON of his music. His songs just really fit with the Pentegreen series, especially one song in particular (I can't tell you why because SPOILERS), but suffice it for now to say that I LOVE IT AND IT IS PERFECT. <3 

Time to write: Ummmm....whenever I'm not in the middle of school, basically? 8 to 10 PM tends to be a prime time for me. 

Writing snack/drink: Water. That's all. XD

Movie: ERM. The new Star Wars trilogy has accidentally given me a ton of inspiration for my books. Y'all already know, however, that my favorite movie of ever is AMAZING GRACE. (Once again: If you haven't watched it yet, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH YOUR LIFE????)

Writing Memory: Well...probably the first time someone told me that one of my books had inspired a non-canon ship for them ;) My friend Ry read King's Daughter version 3 and told me that she had a ship, but it wasn't canon....that was definitely a fun moment. :D 

Childhood book: WHY do you ask me this?????!!!! Ummmm.....maybe some of the older Newbery Medal winners: Rabbit Hill by Robert Lawson, Mr. Revere and I by the same, Ella Enchanted and everything by Gail Carson Levine, and the Lucky trilogy by Susan Patton. I also loved At Home in Mitford and Lord of the Rings as a kid, even though I was likely waaaaay too young for them. 

Currently:


Reading: Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine, and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (definitely subject to change XD)

Writing: I've started a new book! It's called Hood's Arrow, and it's a Robin Hood retelling where I have no clue what I'm doing. Hopefully I'll be doing a post on that at the end of the month in prep for Camp NaNo (along with an announcement post for my project for that excitement...*grins*) I'm also editing The King's Daughter, hardcore editing Ink Storm (my old Rooglewood story....remember that thing? XD), and outlining the first book in the Super Secret Project (which is FINALLY coming together, and I can't wait to share about it with you!!!)

Listening to: Currently, Wicked on YouTube and To All the Poets by Andrew Peterson on Spotify (not simutaneously...)

Watching: I just watched Revenge of the Sith again...that's actually my favorite of the Star Wars prequels, even though I have a very strange love-hate relationship with it that even I do not understand. XD

Learning: How to be productive without school. How to be self-motivating. How to get stuff done. How to write books in two months. XD

Future:

Want to be published?: duh, of course I want to be published! That little troublesome novella Ink Storm will hopefully be the first thing to get into print, and my goal is to have that published by the end of the year in one form or another. 

Indie or traditional: Hybrid! I'd love to be traditionally published, but some of my works simply will not have a market unless I self-publish. That's the problem with niche writing, I suppose. :P 

Wildest goal: Becoming a bestseller and, someday, having someone tell me that one of my books gave them hope. <3 


Tagging: 

I have no idea whatsoever if any of you guys have been tagged in the past and if you have, feel free to discount this...but I'm just tagging everyone who comes to mind here XD


Look at me actually tagging people! *pats self on back* 



What's your wildest goal in your writing? If you've seen Star Wars which prequel is your favorite? If you're listening to music right now, what is it? Talk to me, peeps!!!!! 

You May Also Like

32 comments

  1. You gave some awesome answers, Faith/R.F.! I *takes deep breath* don’t really like Revenge of the Sith. I mean, it’s a well-made movie, but I just don’t like it personally.

    I just read Ink and Bome too! What are you thinking of it so far?

    And yes, speculative for the win!!

    Fun, great post, Faith! And good luck with publishing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's totally okay! I don't like either of the other prequels, so I'm definitely not judging anyone who doesn't like that one. ^_^

      To be quite honest, I didn't love it. I wasn't feeling the stakes, and I cared about exactly 0 of the characters :P So I don't think I'll be continuing the series.

      *high-five*

      Thanks! And thanks! XD

      Delete
  2. Always listening to Wicked. It's so good!!!! Also, go you for narrowing down your favorite authors. You are a better reader than I. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Always Wicked. <3 Oh gosh...I could make the list so much longer, although I won't xD

      Delete
  3. RAFIE. Your new nickname. Boom.

    (Also, funny story...Evangeline sometimes calls me Fee...how funny is that??)

    Revenge of the Sith was my favorite Stars Wars movie for a while (now it's a toss-up between Rogue One and The Force Awakens). The Return of the Jedi was a favorite for a long time, too. I tend to like the last movies/books in series, so I'm kind of expecting Episode 9 will be amazing in my eyes. (Maybe...not sure about the direction SW is taking, honestly...)

    INK STORM!!! I love it!! Can't wait for it to be published, as I want a paper copy of it on my shelf!!!

    And thanks for the tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE IT. <3

      That's hilarious! It's a great nickname, though. ;)

      I agree about not loving the new way SW is going....I really hope 9 will be good. They have a lot of redeeming to do if they screw that one up. XD

      I'm editing it super hard right now...I really hope I /can/ publish it soon! :D

      And you are so welcome! :)

      Delete
  4. You did the tag!!! I love this tag so much. It's the best learning all the fun things about my fellow writers. ^_^

    Your new pen name is so professional and awesome. I love it! Also Fee is suuuch a cute nickname, and rascalation is great. XD

    I think it's so amazing how long you've been working on King's Daughter, and how dedicated you are to it. Plus you hand wrote an 80k word version of it???? O___O YOU ARE A MAGIC UNICORN. My hands would have fallen off! Lol.

    And you're writing a Robin Hood retelling. AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!! I am a huge, HUGE Robin Hood nerd. SO THIS EXCITES ME MUCHLY! All your projects sounds awesome. And I can't wait to learn about this secret one! :O

    You're going to get Ink Storm published? THAT IS SO EXCITING!!!! Now I'm just hyped about ALL the things! *twirls*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this tag so much! <3

      Oh, thanks! I love it myself ^_^ It's my real initials with a made up last name (still stemming from Wingfeathers, though!)

      I know...I can't believe how long I've been working on it either. I was like 12 or 13 when I wrote that version, so it was easier for me to handwrite :P But thank you for the unicorn status! *puts on badge*

      I really hope it comes out decent...I'm feeling very much love-hate with it at the moment :P And I can't wait to tell y'all about the secret one! It's going to be SO GOOD. I'm in love with that idea and I can't wait to unveil it to the world. <3

      *screams into a pillow* Yes! Nothing is set yet, and I might be trying to go through a smaller press or something rather than self-publishing...but I'm hoping to be able to do that! <3

      Delete
  5. I love these kind of tags. A pen name, that is a brilliant idea and I'm kicking myself for not having one.
    Sam Tinnesz's music is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that's totally okay! I love your real name as it is. <3
      Isn't it?????

      Delete
  6. thanks for the tag girl <3 gonna do it in about three weeks time ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun getting to read your answers! =D This is such a fun tag! I love your favorite authors, although I've never read anything by Tricia Mingerink. *hides under a rock* And that title for your Robin Hood story...*flails* AND THERE IS A SECRET PROJECT WHAT. *waits very, very impatiently*

    Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so much fun??? I love Tricia Mingerink's stuff, so you must amend this ;) I CAN'T WAIT TO SPEAK OF THE SECRET PROJECT! No idea when that shall be...but it shall happen I promise.

      Delete
  8. I'm gonna start calling you Raft now. XD

    Thanks for the tag. Don't know if I'll do it, but THANK YOU! loved reading your answers! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should call me that! <3

      And you don't have to by any means! (I know a couple of people just put "classified" on some of the more private info, so if that's a holdup you can always go with that.) Thanks! :D

      Delete
  9. It was fun reading your answers!!
    You're part German too? *high fives* :D

    I've already done this tag, but thank you so much for tagging me. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have lots of German--I think only two generations ago was actually Native German in my family. :D

      That's totally fine! I didn't remember if you had or not, haha. XD

      Delete
  10. I fully approve of the new pen-name!
    What's this about a super secret project? Any chance we'll hear more about it soon?
    I'm listening to bagpipes right now- bagpipe music is more of my 'reading music' than my 'writing music', though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blue! :D

      You might...I'm still trying to figure out when that might happen, especially with all the other projects I'm working on right now.

      Ooh, bagpipes! I don't listen to enough music like that. <3

      Delete
  11. I love reading the answers to this tag :D It looks so fun! Currently I'm listening to 'A Knife in the Dark' from the LotR soundtrack (honestly, this soundtrack is basically all I listen to when I'm writing).
    My wildest goal...I don't know, other than being traditionally published?? That's a pretty wild goal. You're dedication to your WIP is also to be admired. I've only been working on my WIP since NaNoWriMo last year...so kudos to you, my friend.
    The secret project???? Ooh. (And I've so badly wanted to read and/or write a Robin Hood retelling!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LotR! Those soundtracks are so beautiful. Howard Shore is my man. *highfives* And yes, traditional publishing is definitely a wild goal and worthy to aspire to! :D And thanks very much. I'm hoping to be able to share stuff about that before TOOOOOOOO long.

      Delete
  12. *squeals* This tag, Faith!!!

    Sheesh, a 50k book at 13?? Girl....you are a WORD-SMITH.

    You know, I may go into hybrid publishing, since I really can't decide between indie and trad :p.

    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, forgot something - thank you for the tag!! Seeing as how I've been tagged for this one THREE times now, I guess I better get cracking....

      Delete
    2. Yes! It's so fun <3

      I know...I really can't believe it. *winces* It was horrible, though, no work of genius, so don't get too excited. XD

      Hybrid is great, imo. <3

      And you're so welcome! Yes, you definitely should ;)

      Delete
  13. My favorite Star Wars prequel is probably "Attack of the Clones" but not for the Anakin part of the story. I prefer the Obi-Wan storyline. Currently listening to: A lot of Dear Evan Hansen. As for writing, my wildest goal is to become traditionally published someday and hopefully have at least one of my books turned into a movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Obi-Wan storyline is my favorite, too, honestly--I watch Attack of the Clones for that very reason. <3 And ooh, I forgot about movie adaptations! That would be AMAZING.

      Delete
  14. I LOVE THIS. It was so interesting and fun learning more about you and your writing journey, Faith! I need to do this myself...

    I love your favorite author list, though I have yet to read Andrew Peterson or Anne Elisabeth Stengl. I plan to read the Wingfeather Saga VERY soon, though, so I'm excited about that! :D

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you should!!! <3

      They're both so good. <3

      Delete
  15. Water??? I can't even go through writing unless all food + drink is far from my reach (virtually no distractions). I also love your new pen name!

    xoxo Abigail Lennah | Story-Eyed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I definitely feel that. I dehydrate so easily that I MUST have water beside me or else I will perish. And thank you!

      Delete
  16. That is such a coincidence! I just rented Revenge of the Sith from the library and I'm going to watch it for the first time! XD I didn't particularly like The Phantom Menace, it really d-r-a-g-g-e-d on. :P But I liked Attack of the Clones!

    "How to be productive without school" <~ Oh my word, this is me right now. XD It's like...I have no idea what to do with myself... Even though I have a ton of stuff that I should be doing!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)