WRITING UPDATE: If the Sky Falls

by - July 13, 2020




LET'S HAVE A WRITING UPDATE BECAUSE WHY NOT????

Launching this baby off: I've written three books over the last semester. I made a little progress on some scenes for other books and wrote a couple chapters of my dystopia, Watched, but I had to halt progress on that one because I just was not feeling it. So for now: I'm sharing about my current WIPs. Holding Up the Sky (which I just finished the second draft of), Stealing Me Away, my contemporary novella which will likely not see the light of day for a very long time, and If the Sky Falls, the sequel to HUtS.

I've done a lot of posts on HUtS now, so let's just get out of the way that it's with alphas and I'll be hardcore editing it over the summer, possibly to prepare for pitching *squeal* so this post will be heavily focused on If the Sky Falls!

First, a blurb:

The music trembles. It’s fading. Hold on, little girl. 
Daverby swore to get his lost love, Emery, back from the monsters that stole her—but when there are dozens of unexplored worlds out there, finding her might be harder than he anticipated. With Talia at his side, he voyages the portals, relentlessly seeking Emery—but there’s a Hunter after Talia, a Hunter who will stop at nothing to make her answer for her crimes.
Desperate to get her voice back, Lissa makes a deal with one of the monsters—her voice will return to her, but only if she can convince one of the Players to fall in love with her. Setting her sights on Tarek, the leader of the surviving Players, she plunges into their midst on a fool’s errand—learn music, win his heart, or forever become the slave of monsters.
Drex lost his youth and freedom to save the world of Adonta, but he and his father know that this is only borrowed time. They must find a more permanent solution before it’s too late. The word of power is the only answer—but Drex is running out of time, and his heart would rather explore his new feelings for Dulcinea, the lost Player, than save the world.
Surrounded by monsters, the mercenaries and the Players must unite, or fall. But they never expected so many enemies—or for it to be so difficult to find a solution.
The sky is falling… 


Stats:
-7 POVs (save me)
-Another love triangle
-Currently at 24k and 86 pages
-The kids aren't alright
-Monsters monsters everywhere
-SMOL BEANS who might also murder you
-Soft girls, murder girls
-Boys who will insult each other's girlfriends and then feel terrible afterward
-True love's kiss ain't a dead trope here mate
-Four (4) separate fairy tale retellings
-I want this to be aesthetic the way Tangled is

Pinterest
Daverby raised a hand and let a cold smile spread across his face. “Evening, gents,” he said, letting that easy darkness seep into his voice. He was darkness. He was evil. “Anyone willing to share some information with me about… monsters?”
The men went silent. At his side, Talia shifted her weight, and the presence of her hands on her bow and arrows gave him the only security he needed marching into a place like this. He didn’t want to hurt anyone, but if they tried to hurt him… well. They might think they had them outnumbered and outmanned.
That was true enough, but the other side didn’t have Talia.


Moi


Tarek inhaled and let his head hang. Time for another sleepless night of music and a snatched nap full of the darkest dreams.
Because in truth, he didn’t know how to sleep anymore. He couldn’t even play right, not with his hand shaking the way it did now. Everything stung, and now he’d just hurt Candace and hurt himself, because he’d thought… maybe…
No. He was incapable of love. He couldn’t do it.
He turned around and left the room as fast as he could, because the aura of the dead still lurked there, and he was weary beyond measure. He would not forget. He couldn’t forget.
But he would try to escape.

Pinterest


The living room was full of golden light when he stepped off the stairs. Strands of light swirled all around him, twisting up the ceiling, winding around furniture and creating glowing frames for the paintings on the walls. Drex blinked and took a step, and strands wove themselves around him, whispering snatches of song as they slipped around his arms and up his torso.
In the middle of the living room, at the grand piano that had once been nothing more than an antique that no one was allowed to play, sat a girl, her long, long hair in a braid down the center of her back and her hands gliding across the piano to create the magic that filled the house. Her song was beautiful, but there was a note in it that Drex recognized.
The sound of sorrow had filled every song Dulcinea had played since he’d saved her from the monsters.


Pinterest


“Which world, please?” The Gatekeeper turned to the control panel that would send them through the gates.
Daverby squared his shoulders and tried to remember. Sometimes he went off leads; sometimes, he just went to worlds that sounded like they’d have a high monster population. “Idomitus. My relatives live there.”
“Your relatives live here, too, according to these papers.” The man raised an eyebrow.
A registered traveler didn’t need any reasons to go through the Gates—why had he felt the need to make an excuse? Daverby tried to hold himself still taller. “You see, sir, I have a very large family.”
“Aha.” The man wasn’t paying attention.
“Cousins to visit, aunts who think they own you… you have a lot of aunts?” Daverby faked a shudder. “Nothing good to say for them. I hate aunts. But no, Mother shuffles me around from one to another, visit all of them, play the part, buy them things with my own currency…”
The Gate spun open in a whorl of golden light and a gloomy world came into view through it.
“Charmed, I’m sure.” Daverby stepped through the gate before the Keeper could say anything.



What are you writing right now? Chat with me in the comments and let me know what you've been up to writing-wise--I'd love to hear all the updates. 

You May Also Like

24 comments

  1. ACK YOU'RE SHARING THE GOLDEN SNIPPETS WITH THE WORLD!!!!

    I love this so much!! you best believe these books are more aesthetic than tangled!! you're rocking this, love!! love you so much. so proud of you!! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSS

      Aghhhh are they SERIOUSLY? *sobs* I love you tooooo <3 <3

      Delete
  2. Woah! Three books in one semester?! That's awesome!!

    Loved reading this update! I hope writing continues to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...two and a half, haha. But THANKS!

      Thank you so much, Sarah!

      Delete
  3. This was a really fun update! And wow, that's a lot of POVs...I would die, I think.

    I'm currently redrafting my main WIP for Camp NaNo (kill me now) and am struggling with figuring out my POV, so that's fun. 😒

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of too many, but I love juggling multiple POVs so I'm in my element xD

      Ooh! Those are always really tough though so I get it ENTIRELY.

      Delete
  4. This story sounds so intriguing!

    Love all the snippets, and the world needs more soft girls and murder girls. XD
    Also is that a Hamilton reference in the second snippet, cuz I love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      I agree ;) More of both kinds.
      And I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of Hamilton references in everything I write...

      Delete
  5. *SQUEALS FOR A MILLION YEARS* I honestly think Holding Up the Sky and If the Sky Falls are my favorite stories of yours ever...even though I haven't read them. But they just have so MUCH I looove! Fairy tale retellings and an epic sounding squad and music and just all the whimsy and aesthetically pleasing thiiiings. Plus those SNIPPETS. OH MY WORD. SO MUCH BEAUTY.

    YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY QUERY THIS. BECAUSE THE WORLD NEEDS IT.

    UGH. I just love it all so much! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my woooord Christine *sobs* Honestly, it's always my goal for my stuff to be whimsy so I HAVE APPARENTLY SUCCEEDED ACK. And THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUUUUU

      I'm thinking I need to xD

      Thank YOU for reading! *ugly crying*

      Delete
  6. 7 POVs??? HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU MANAGE??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun, bro! xD It might be too many to keep track of but THAT WILL NOT STOP ME

      Delete
  7. EEEP. SO MUCH GOODNESS HERE. Ack, just as brilliant as ever!! My favorite peeps! <333

    ReplyDelete
  8. *SCREAMS FOREVER* WHY DOES THIS STORY SOUND LIKE THE BEST THING TO POTENTIALLY EVER HIT SHELVES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *SOBBING* NICOOOOOLE ACK I CAN'T, THANK YOU SO MUUUUCH

      Delete
  9. *loudly sings the kids aren't all right by fallout boy*
    Your WIP sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meep meep meep. I love this. I love all the ships in this XD meep

    Wow that's certainly way more books than I got in that same span of time way to leave me in the dust XD

    You know what I'm working on. Side projects here and there and Of Gold and Iron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a LOT of ships but you already knew that xD

      Eh you've started way more than I have xD I technically only edited one, finished one, and started a third sooooo

      Yes yes xD all quality stuff tho

      Delete
  11. I LOVE getting writing updates from people around the blogosphere! And I love all these snippets; I think they're some of my favorites you've ever shared! AND !!!! PITCHING PITCHING PITCHING PITCHING faith I NEED to have one of your books in my hands soon, this is so exciting!!

    tl;dr AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

    - eleanor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!!! *Screams* I WANT TO PITCH!!!! It's going to be so excitinggggg *flails*

      Delete
  12. The title, love it! And 7 povs? You're crazy ;) But seems like a beautiful novel. I'm working on a German novel called Bluntly Yours. Slow coming, but coming.

    MB: keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB: thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dude, I cannot tell you how much I need this on my shelf! EEEPP! It's such a fascinating idea and every snippet I get of these characters, I love!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)