Why I Love Tangled SO Much

by - August 03, 2020

Tangled. I imagine many people see it as just another Disney movie, similar to any other "princess movie" or another animated movie to give kids. I remember I watched it in bits and pieces on Youtube when I was probably 13 or 14. I didn't get it at the time.

But now I am older and I understand the point of Tangled and now it is time for you all to understand it too.

Without further ado: Some flailing on the subject of the best movie made by modern Disney.

Several reasons I love Tangled:

1. The characters.

Most princesses in Disney movies have been fairly flat. They talk to animals. They sing. Big deal. And Disney princes seem to be the fathers of the YA trend of having a totally flat love interest who really only exists to provide a pretty face and a sword when the princess needs it. 

Honestly, most movies in general seem to do that. They want a plot and an aesthetic and recognizable actors and money more than they care to actually take the time on characters, and it's a crying shame. We all know that books are made by the people within them, not the plot, so...what's so different about a movie?

Tangled doesn't do that. Tangled has a bright fireworks show of a cast. Rapunzel, the girl who wants so much MORE but is afraid and also full of love even though no one has shown it to her and has simple dreams and simple hopes. Flynn, the man who never had anything and swore he'd get it all--and then found everything in the last place he was possibly looking. Mother Gothel, the woman who really just wanted her own ends but went about getting them in the worst possible. And going on...Max, Pascal, the Stabbingtons, even the unnamed side characters. They're real and interesting and you're invested in them. 

I watched this movie about six times in three months and it's all because of the characters (and the following reasons hahahaaaa)

I may or may not be obsessed

2. THE ROMANCE

Most movies look at their cast and go "I've got a hot guy, I've got a hot girl, let's make them kiss". That is the opposite of what Tangled does--we have two polar opposite characters who have to learn to depend on each other and only then even have any attraction.

Yeah, Tangled is a story of insta-love. Two days or so and the characters are ready to die for each other--but did you notice it was two days when you were watching it? Rapunzel and Flynn hate each other at first and see each other as a means to an end, uNTIL they realize that they can't do this alone. They start to get to know each other. And then they realize that there's something there they can't deny. They develop their relationship organically and it takes them a while to fall for each other. In movie time, they practically have weeks.

And then there's the ending scenes. Oh my word. Out of every movie first kiss of ever, that may be my favorite. I just...*flails forever*

*dies*

3. THE PLOT

So I know I've said a lot about the characters...but like. This is one of the best stories out there, too. You have a girl who wants something very simple--a day out to go see some sights--and a guy who just wants to be rich. Then the writers run away with it and turn it into a story of guy saves girl, girl saves guy, with an entirely different outcome.

This is how you write a good story. Give them different goals that evolve as the story goes on. Let your characters get to know each other and balance action with soft moments. Tangled is only ninety minutes long, with a main cast of three--Flynn, Rapunzel, and Mother Gothel--but with a longer story and a larger cast, you can do SO much, and this story is a brilliant example of taut story telling that still fits its run time perfectly.

Me ngl


4. THE ANIMATION

I love animated movies and this one is no exception. I mean, the style. THE FACES! THE BACKGROUNDS! THE COLORS! ALL OF ITTTTT ACKKK I WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF THIS MOVIE
This scene alone I mean COME ONNNN



5. THE TRUTH

I'm sure not everyone is going to have quite as raw an experience with this movie as I have, but the truth is...even in Disney movies, seeing someone facing the same experience as you is something magic. I've never been in the same situation as Rapunzel or Eugene, but they're both ridiculously relatable characters.

On top of that, there's this level of reality and beauty in the way Rapunzel escapes abuse to live a life of happiness, in the fact that someone saw her as entirely worthy of fighting for and was willing to give up so much for her. Mother Gothel is a very Real character and there are so many people who don't see her as a real villain because she "loves" Rapunzel. But the abuse...it may mostly be subtle for  a lot of the movie but it is real and it is there. And I felt heard when I watched it recently. It was REAL. 

She just hits kind of close to home


I could go on about this movie for years. I love it so much. But I'll leave you with this for now. It's just a GOOD movie and everything about it is quality that people don't realize. I hope this inspires you to go watch it again because IT'S JUST THAT GOOD MWAHAHA

Is Tangled the superior Disney movie? Do you have a favorite moment from it? I could flail about this movie forever so talk to me in the comments below and give me an excuse to do so!

You May Also Like

26 comments

  1. ACK love this. Tangled is the best disney movie!! Mother Gothel is a narcissit who gaslights Rapunzel and I stand by that.

    Flynn is amazing and ACK I LOVE HIM.

    And Rapunzel is amazing and complex and this movie is the best!!!

    <3 love you boo <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is and YES I agree (as you know, lolz).

      FLYNN MY BOOIIIIII

      Yes!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Okay, but Mother Gothel scared the HECK out of me when I first watched it. (which is why I haven't seen it in like eight years and don't plan to watch it again anytime soon XD)

    but FLYNN RIDER OH MY WORD HE IS AMAZING

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHE IS TERRIFYING but like...in a psychological way? So yeahhhhhh. But I would still ABSOLUTELY recommend xD

      YES HE ISSSSSSSS ACK

      Delete
  3. When I saw this I already knew the ending and was just kind of neutral on it, but lately I've been digging into the story and characters and ACK. IT IS GORGEOUS. I need to see this again, pronto! All you reasons are just YES!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS isn't it just so beautiful????

      Delete
  4. AAAAAH YES TO EVERYTHING! Tangled is my all time favorite Disney movie!

    Also, the soundtrack? Is underrated? But amazing? Ngl, "When Will my Life Begin" basically describes my life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be MORE people's favorite Disney movie xD

      YES I love the instrumental parts most like Kingdom Dance? TAKE ME NOW *swoons*

      Delete
  5. *is the epitome of ppl who think tangled is just one more Disney movie* HOWEVER all your points are valid. I just think there's an uncontrolled element of background/where you came from that contributes to your appreciation of shows and sadly, mine just were anti climatic when it came this film lol NICE POST THOUGH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well xD Yes there is definitely a certain level of backstory viewers bring to movies, and if you don't have it, you won't get it *nods* And that's totally okay! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. *SCREAMS "YESSSS!" SO LOUD AND LONG I LOSE MY VOICE*

    YES YES YES YES YESSS!!!! This movie just--UGH. It is perfection. PERFECTION. It is my FAVORITE animated movie of all time for all these reasons and more. The utter care and attention they put into the characters, to their desires and goals and arcs, was outstanding. I feel like we don't get stories this strong anymore. Everything's so cheap and shallow. But this, THIS. This is how storytelling is done. And also the animation is just GORGEOUS.

    I was actually talking to a friend literally last night about how I've always been bitter toward Frozen because I don't understand whyyyy Frozen got all the hype it did and not Tangled. I love Frozen, but Tangled is 10000000x better. I LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT IT. EVERYTHING. I have zero complaints about this story and that NEVER happens.

    I will forever remember seeing it in theaters and being so enchanted, and I've been obsessed ever since. I can't imagine an animated movie can ever surpass the sheer perfection of Tangled.

    Needless to say, I LOVED THIS POST! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *JOINS YOU IN SCREAMING*

      This movie. This MOVIE. *sobbing forever* It's just...such! Quality!!!!!!!!!!!

      YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SAME HERE. I was flailing about it to my mom and she was just sorta staring at me a few days ago xD But she hasn't seen it, which is my mistake. At some point I gotta get the whole family to watch it so THEY WILL UNDERSTAND.

      I'm so jealous of you getting to see it in theaters! I think I was too young to get it when it came out, but oh my wooooord I wish I could now.

      THANKS <3

      Delete
  7. TANGLED IS THE SUPERIOR DISNEY MOVIE.

    Ack. I have such complete and unreasoning love for this movie and I CANNOT for the life of me put it into words (so people either get it or they don't) but you just did, so THANK YOU.

    The characters, YES, the aesthetics, YES, and THE TRUTH YESSSS. I...don't really know why Tangled touches me so deeply - I mean, part of it is Rapunzel and how she always chooses to be hopeful, and to trust, and to see the good in people, even as she becomes more and more aware of the dangers of doing this. And part of it is her discovering that Flynn really does love her, really does value her at the infinite price she's worthy of. And part of it, I think, IS the abuse and just...how well that's portrayed? Mother Gothel is one of the best villains I've EVER SEEN. I don't know if I've ever seen - and I've definitely never seen in Disney - a villain so real.
    (Also, doesn't hurt that it's hilarious. The jokes never get old.)

    But man, just yes to everything you said. There's literally nothing I would change about this movie. It is SO BEAUTIFUL AND PERFECT. (As is this post.) *frying pan salute*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES IT ISSSSSS

      YOU'RE WELCOME!!!! It took me an hour to write this post with the soundtrack going the whole time, haha. I just wanted to quit writing it and watch the movie again.

      YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS ALL OF IT. She's just such a wonderful role model and so soft and sweet despite how much the world wants to hurt her and I LOVE IT. And yesssss to all of this. I can't *flails softly*

      YES *forgot frying pan* *pulls out an apple*

      Delete
  8. ah i love this post! 'tangled' is my favorite disney movie...and now i want to watch it again, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are NOT the only one xD I had to resist the urge to start watching it SO many times during the making of this post.

      Delete
  9. Tangled is the best. I've been obsessed with it since I first saw it years ago. I adore Rapunzel and Flynn is one of my favorite Disney princes of all time. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE IT so much and I'm just sad it took me til this year to do so!

      Delete
  10. AAAAAA I TOTALLY THOUGHT I COMMENTED BUT I DIDN'T... Tangled is the best Disney movie ever and nothing can change my mind. The aesthetic, the romance, the lessons! GAH! *chefs kiss*

    Tangled was also the very first movie i cried at in the theaters, so that was an experience haha.. (listen 10 year old me got very attached to Eugune)

    So yeah, i could scream about Tangled literally for hours!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no intelligible words so ASDFGHJKL I LOVE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH IT'S AMAZING AND I WILL NEVER STOP SCREAMING ABOUT IT <333333

    theonesthatreallymatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. AAAAAAAAAAH TANGLED! YES! ALL OF THESE THINGS!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)