Beautiful People March 2017: Ali

by - March 28, 2017

Hello, everyone! I'm doing the March Beautiful People meme, hosted by the lovely Cait @Paper Fury and Skye @Further Up and Further In! I know it's a little late in the month to be doing it, but oh, well. We can just call it Camp NaNo prep, right?
I'll be doing my character Ali Spencer from my April book-to-be. She's the main character, and she's one of the better MCs I've come up with in my several years of writing. At least, she is in my humble opinion. She's heavily based on me, but this novel is also shamelessly based on my own experiences, so I 'm not apologizing.
Without further ado....

What’s their favourite book/movie/play/etc.?

Ali loves movies in general. Most of the time, she's watching something old and classy, or something with lots of sci-fi in it. Probably very much like me. So Princess Bride or something like that. An old animated Disney like The Aristocats. Or, like, The Scarlet Pimpernel or something.
And favorite book would probably be Lord of the Rings.

    If they were sick or wounded, who would take care of them and how?

Um, this entire book is about surgery, so that's very easy to answer: Ali's mom! And the people at the Children's Hospital. Ali has a great family - her mom, her sister Robin, her brother Dennis, and her dad - and they all care about her. #AmendingYAFamilies

Is there an object they can’t bear to part with and why?

Yes. No. I actually have not figured this out yet. Probably her cell phone because she's a modern teenager, but I hadn't thought about this question until just now.

What are 5 ways to win their heart (or friendship)?

1 - Ali loves going to the movie theater, so... Movies. Lots of movies.
2- No bullying. She's been bullied throughout middle school, and so anyone who doesn't take part in it could at least be considered a potential friend.
3 - Liking the same kind of music. Read: alternative rock type stuff. 21 Pilots, Imagine Dragons, Fall Out Boy, etc.
4 - Being willing to just sit and listen. To hold her hand and tell her that it's going to be okay. Offering a shoulder to cry on.
5 - Not liking Disney channel, which the older sister Robin does. Obsessively.

Describe a typical outfit for them from top to bottom.

T-shirt (a big, bulky one; she's not proud of her body), probably with a cheesy slogan on it. And then a pair of jeans underneath and sneakers. She's not tall, but would not wear high heels to save her life - comfortable clothing is a given. And they live in Massachusetts, so during the winter she wears a very large ski jacket that reaches to the knees, a knitted hat, a pair of plastic mittens, and massive heavy snow boots. This is not a description of me in the winter in Maine, it is completely stereotypical of everyone in New England nine months out of the year.

What’s their favorite type of weather?

Rainy, because it's just beautiful. Rain isn't fun to play in, at least not in Boston, but one of Ali's favorite things to do is snuggle up and read books or watch a movie on a rainy day.

What’s the worst fight they’ve ever been in?

We'll just say... there's a lot of bullying at Ali's school. When she was in third grade, she stood up for one of the other girls who was getting bullied, and got a bloody nose and a black eye out of it. Nowadays, she's the target of the bullying, but it's mostly verbal and not particularly physical. There might be a fight in the story - but to tell more would be rife with spoilers.... ;P

What names or nicknames have they been called throughout their life?

Her real name is Alison, so Ali is a nickname for that. Robin (her sister) calls her various names, such as "little sister", "daisy", and "Batman" (don't ask.) Her parents call her the normal parental terms of endearment (sweetie, love, darling, etc.) And she's given some insulting names at school, like "Elephant". So.... Yeah.

What makes their heart feel alive?

Getting to spend a day just walking in the mountains. Living in the city as their family does, trips to the mountains are a rarity, and Ali always loves the opportunity to drive for a few hours and visit the world of nature.

Is there anything they regret doing?

The time when she went to the movies and didn't watch The Winter Soldier, even though she wanted to. Seriously.  So then she went home and watched clips on the internet until it came out on DVD.

Thanks for reading, guys! I hope you enjoyed getting to meet Ali! I will be posting more updates about my Camp NaNoWriMo novel throughout the month of April, so stay tuned for that!


You May Also Like

12 comments

  1. Ooh, I was excited to see that you had jumped onto the Beautiful People bandwagon! *highfive* I LOVE that linkup, but I didn't have time to do it this month. It was so fun to read about Ali Spencer! She sounds like a wonderful character ;).

    (also, I finally got around to looking at your pages and HOW can you get your About Me page to look so good when you've only been blogging for a month? Seriously, I'd think you've been blogging for longer than a month by the look of your blog. You're doing great ;))

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Savannah. You're so sweet. *hugs* I've really enjoyed reading everybody's Beautiful People posts, and this seemed like a good time to start what with Camp NaNo and all. (And just as an aside, Ali's story is heavily based on my own experiences, so I'm glad you like her!)
      Thank you. :) You're so nice. I've worked really hard to make it look good (and also used half the people whose blogs I follow as inspiration.)

      Delete
  2. I COULD TOTALLY BE FRIENDS WITH ALI! I qualify for all of her "top five" things. xD

    I also didn't see The Winter Soldier at the movie theater and honestly WHAT WAS I THINKING?? I'm so mad about that. xD Ali and I will need to get together and mope about our past regrets. :P

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's great. I didn't find out about the Winter Soldier until a year or so ago (shocker, right?!) but Ali is a Marvel fan, so...

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a nice character, I hope we'll be able to hear more about her and her story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will be posting updates about this book and adding it to the My Writings page. I might actually be brave enough to post snippets... Don't count on it though.

      Delete
  4. Sounds awesome! My character is based off of a traumatic experience I had when I was nine, people have been asking me to write about it for years, and I think I'm finally ready.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE. I LOVE THESE SO MUCH. It's fascinating getting to know other people's characters!

    Ali sounds so relatable, I love her already!

    I think it's so great how she has a good family! We DEFINITELY need some good, strong families in YA fiction. It's so lacking.

    I was snickering at her biggest regret being not seeing The Winter Soldier. XD But that WOULD BE a big regret! o.o That movie is LIFE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they're great, aren't they?
      Thanks! She's a lot like me, so that probably helps.
      THERE IS NO END TO MY COMPLAINTS ABOUT THIS. I will actually read books for the sole reason that they have a good family for the teens. I just need it so much.
      I didn't get to see the Winter Soldier either, but I'm planning to make up for it by watching Black Panther as soon as it comes out. In Civil War he was SO COOL! And Infinity War, too, obviously.

      Delete
  6. THE PRINCESS BRIDE AND THE LORD OF THE RINGS AAHHH. Ali has great taste! The Winter Soldier is THE BEST, and yes, the internet is quite helpful. xD

    New follower. =)

    Micaiah
    www.notebooksandnovels.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does :) But it's my taste, so it makes sense... ;D
      Thank you for following!

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)