5-Part Writing Special, Week 1: About my Novel!!!

by - March 02, 2018

Hey, guys! Who remembers October when I participated in the amazing Julian's Four-Part Writing Special? You all got to learn a ton about my submission to the Rooglewood Contest, Ink Storm. That was SO much fun that I've now decided to come back for a second round, this one about my new WIP, The King's Daughter!

The King's Daughter is the first book of the Pentegreen series, my brainchild, and may quite possibly be my favorite book I've ever written. That's saying something, too. Hopefully I'll finish it before the end of March, because I have plans for the Super-Secret Project I mention occasionally around the blog, involving a ridiculously high word-count goal and Camp NaNoWriMo and the snowflake plotting method.

But before we get way off track, I present to you today:


Let's get into it!

A 1-3 Paragraph blurb for your WIP

MASSIVE thanks to Abigayle Clare  for waving her editing wand on this blurb!

Some nightmares cannot be escaped.

The world is at war. The land of Venaria, enslaved to the mysterious dictator Dauthang, sends its army to siege King Martin’s city. Battles rage, and spies lurk around every corner.

In the middle of it all stands Princess Esma—the prize Dauthang seeks. She is forced into the war that keeps her up at night when a training exercise brings her face to face with an enemy soldier. When the soldier reappears, claiming to be a deserter, participation is her only option for survival.

Both sides are fraught with secrets. Trust seems like a thing of the past. Esma will need all her cunning to navigate the treacherous waters of this war if she’s to have any chance at peace again.


Describe your WIP in ten short phrases.

Mind games//disguises//spies//an unlocked door//fire and ice//desperate hearts//unreasonable enemies//destruction of all that's right//moral grays//redemption

How did you come up with the idea for your story? 

I've talked about this several times on the blog before: in my post about this beloved brainchild, and in this post about some of my early stories.

But this particular draft?

It is so hard to navigate the waters of this story without spoilers, because there is one character in particular who is a huge part of this story but whose every move is a spoiler. So. Heh heh...*laughs awkwardly*

This is a character who's been along for the ride through three previous versions of King's Daughter, back when it was called With this Sword and then The Sword of the First One. He was supposed to be a compelling, interesting, valuable character, but there was always something...flat about him. Something that was just uninteresting.

Then one day I was thinking and something hit me like a ton of pounds.

What if he'd actually had different motivations from the beginning? What if he wasn't as straightforward a character as he'd always been? What if he was, well, complicated?

The whole story began to blossom from there.

Why did you choose this WIP? What gave it priority over all the other plot bunnies? 

It's been kind of a habit to write versions of this book for a while now, and I figured what better way to start out 2018 than with a story I was pretty much guaranteed to finish? (Even if it is version four of a story that's gone all over the place).

Probably a less interesting answer than you were hoping for, but oh well...

How did you go about preparing to write it?

I sent a text to my amazingly wonderful friend Ry and asked her if she'd be interested in reading a train wreck. As it was being written. O_O Because she is so amazing, she graciously accepted, and has made this whole process so much better. I definitely recommend having a brainstorming/encouragement partner early on in the writing process, y'all. It has helped me SO MUCH. 

Then I opened a blank Word doc (this later changed to Google Docs because above reason of letting Ry read it as I'm writing it), said a prayer, and dove in. 

That's about all the preparation I was able to put into it. 

Did you have to do any research to write it? 

Not really. I mean, I did have to research "will someone fall forward or backward when stabbed with a knife" and "how much blood do you have to lose to bleed out" and "how to knock someone out using your head" and then dunk my (ungloved) hand in snow and then stare at it trying to figure out how to describe the sensation. But other than these inconsequential little writer anecdotes there wasn't much research involved. 

Was this story easy or hard to write? Why?

Well, for the most part it's been a breeze. I'm currently at 85,000 words (WHAT EVEN) and it's still flying, even though things have been getting a little more sloggy lately. Like I said above: Having someone who cares about my characters almost as much as I do and is interested in helping me make this first draft the best it can be is SO HUGE. Whenever I'm stuck, I usually just page her and shriek about how stuck I am, and then she just kind of waves her magic wand and fixes my problem. 

So mostly easy. There have been some parts that have been a little bit harder so far. But for the most part we're just kind of flying over here.

(Me writing, basically)

What was your favorite place to write this story?

Uhhh...well, normally I'd tell y'all that I simply wrote the whole thing on my laptop, but I'm afraid that wouldn't be quite true. 

No, I'd say about twenty thousand words of my currently 85,000 word epic was written ON MY PHONE IN GOOGLE DOCS. I've written it on airplanes, in the car, during college trips, and all up and down the East Coast. Most of it has come into being on my desk, but parts also sprang into being in South Carolina, Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio, Washington D.C., New York, and New Hampshire. 

What can I say? I've traveled a lot so far this year. 

What makes your story unique?

Oh boy, so much. 

I tried to come up with a comp title for this story, and while I always, always have trouble coming up with comp titles, simply because I'm very original as ideas go, I could not do it. 

I can find comparisons to certain elements. I can find comparisons to some of the characters. 

But I can't compare the story itself to anything

I'm trying to write a story that points to the light and is full of beauty and love and strong relationships and light...but also very much shows that there is dark in this world. Dark, but light that is stronger. And I know there's plenty of other such stories, but that is my ultimate goal for the story. 

Also my characters are amazingly unique and real (at least to me.) You'll find out more about them in a few weeks when I do a couple of character themed posts for this five-part special... ^_^

What do you love most about this story?

  • My playlists
  • My characters are beautiful
  • My plot is finally flying together
  • This book is THE ONE
  • Basically everything and everyone
  • Having a critique partner who is AMAZING

I hope y'all enjoyed this post! Be sure to check out the posts by the other participants as listed below:




So chat with me! What's your opinion of my brainchild so far? Are you excited to learn more about it? Will I make 100k by Sunday? Talk to me in the comments!!!!!! Also, my Q&A is still open, so head back over to THIS POST and ask me some questions if you haven't already! :D 

You May Also Like

36 comments

  1. This sounds so cool! I always love it when flat characters suddenly become complex! It's soooooo much fun! I can't wait to hear more about your story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it always makes me SO happy!!!! Thanks, Sarah, I can't wait to tell y'all more about it! :D

      Delete
  2. The first book I wrote in my series I wrote completely with my phone, too! I didn't own a laptop for several years ;p Love your ten sentences... those alone intrigue me :D Love anything with the mind :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh, I could NEVER do that! XD My books end up being insanely long, so while I can write chunks of them on the phone...never, ever the whole thing.

      Thanks! The mind element will be stronger in the sequel(s), but it is definitely present in this volume. <3

      Delete
  3. Oy, I just LOVE IT when things finally click together and you realize the story is AMAZING and CAN BE DONE. (And I need to know more about this certain character....he sounds really interesting...)

    (And Princess Esma sounds cool, too, and I don't normally like the Princess characters.)

    I love how everyone is writing these dark stories, weaving hope and promise into them, showing that despite all the bad, there is also good, writing to give hope....

    ...and I'm over here with my trilogy like "maxi oy, villains, I need you to stay bad or I won't have anyone for the heroes to fight against!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! That's the best feeling. <3 (I WANT TO TELL YOU MORE BUT EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM IS SO SPOILERY...*sobs because my critique partner and I are doomed to him and no one else can even KNOW HIS NAME PROBABLY*

      (I'm so glad! They're not usually my favorite either but Esma is just kind of my baby. <3)

      Lol, we need that too! XD

      Delete
  4. That's really cool!!! I don't know if this is valid, but does Fantasy seem to be pretty much the genre that is most precious? I don't know, maybe because we have to inspire EVERYTHING, it's just super special.
    astoryspinner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! I know there's a lot of authors who don't love fantasy, but for me there's never /really/ been any other genre.

      Delete
  5. Sticking your hand in snow, love that. That is kind of how I do research. Love the moment a character starts working with the story. This story sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely the most practical way--you want to know what your MC is going to go through, just do it to yourself! XD Thank you, Skye! That means so much to me :)

      Delete
  6. THIS IS GONNA BE A COOL BOOK. I can't wait to read your post for part 2~~!!!

    I'm way hyped up to hear everyone rant about their characters! It's always so much fun, because writers always love their people, and are always willing to gush about them when given the opportunity. AND THIS IS GONNA BE THAT OPPIRTUNITY.
    And it makes me happy seeing other people being happy. Or hearing, in this case. When people get excited over something that matters to them, I ways feel warm inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, thank you!!!!

      I know! I love it when people talk about their characters, I can't wait to talk about mine! <3

      Delete
  7. At last, a Pentagreen story!!

    I loooved your research anecdotes :)

    I agree, alphas are super duper important and helpful creatures, LOL.

    WHOA! You wrote it all on your phone???!! WOW.

    Can't wait to hear more!!

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!!!! :D

      Thanks :) They were fun. Except for sticking my hand in the snow...O_O

      They really are. I don't know how I wrote before I had Ry to help me with it. XD

      Not all of it, just a significant chunk...but yeah I'm slightly amazed.

      Thanks! Can't wait to tell y'all more! :D

      Delete
  8. Ahhhh! EPICNESS!!!!!!

    How on EARTH did you write on your phone that much??? XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!

      I really don't know! I just couldn't stop! XD

      Delete
  9. Excuse me while I FLAIL OVER THIS!!! *falls flat on face* I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THIS. Your love for it is soooooo evident, and that just makes me that more excited!!!

    Lila @ The Red-Hooded Writer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO READ IT EITHER! Awww, thank you, Lila! I'm so excited to send this one to you! <3 And it will be soon--I'm getting close to done!

      Delete
  10. I love how you included that Lego Movie clip and labeled it: 'me writing, basically'. I often feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooh my goodness, THIS EXCITES ME! Because I've been dying to know more about your beloved fantasy story. IT JUST SOUNDS SO UP MY ALLEY. EEP.

    I think it's absolutely wonderful you have a friend right along with you on this wild ride to encourage you and brainstorm with. Writing friends is the lifeblood of writers! And woooow, YOU ARE MAKING FAST PROGRESS. KEEP GOING. YOU ARE A WRITING ROCKSTAR!!! *waves pompoms*

    I definitely can't wait to learn more about this WIP! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVE IT. It truly is my baby, and all you people saying you want to read it...*hugs you all*

      I know! It's really been so so helpful and I don't think I'll do it any other way in the future. XD The best part is that she's a writer too so I get to help her in the same way...and that's been so much fun.

      THANK YOU! I'M ACTUALLY ABOUT TO HIT 100K and gaahhhh this is the longest book I've ever written!!!!!

      Thanks, Christine! I can't wait to tell you more about it! <3

      Delete
  12. This sounds amazing! And to know you think this is THE ONE...I'm so excited for you!!! I can't wait to learn more. :D

    ~Ivie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ivie! <3 I really am so happy with it.

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh I am so late in getting to my followers posts! Please please forgive me. Awww, thanks Faith:) Your story wasn't that bad! BTW Whoever reads the series is gonna get blasted away with her creative-ness and ingenuity. I love editing stories, especially fellow bloggers:)
    Ry @ https://greenacresfarmgirlliving4god.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're totally okay on that! :D And aww, you're so sweet! (She's amazing, everybody ;))

      Delete
  14. YOU WROTE AT LEAST 20k ON YOUR PHONE??? WHAT??? DUDE. I have major respect because that's serious dedication. I don't know if I could be persuaded to do that. xD

    And wow -- how long do you think this book is going to turn out to be? It's already pretty long. o.o Which is awesome because that means more epic story, mwahaha>

    The first line of your synopsis is the best thing ever. I started grinning immediately. :D

    katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW. I was amazed that I found the dedication to be able to do that, in all honesty O_O

      I think it's probably going to clock in right around 120k...it's at 110 K right now, and wrapping up pretty nicely.

      Aww, thanks! I love it. <3

      Delete
  15. Wait..... You wrote most of 85,000 words WITH YOUR PHONE! Girl, you have insane skills if you can do that. I can hardly text. O.O
    Anyway, this story sounds awesome. I love how you asked questions about that one character and your story built off of that. Those are the best, when the story builds from character. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I can't text either...which is hilarious because when it comes down to it I WILL WRITE THE THING. I wrote MOST of it on a laptop....but some did come into being on the docs app on my phone. XD

      They really are. I've come to the realization that I'm definitely a character driven writer, which is great because I love the characters :)

      Delete
  16. Sooo... do people fall forward or backward when they're stabbed?? We need to know, Faith. You can't just put that out there and not tell us!

    20k is my best ever NaNo total... hOW DO YOU DO THAT ON A PHONE. xD

    That spoilery character sounds fascinating! I love having complicated characters - but I can't make them complicated myself, I make them mostly flat and then have to wait until they tell me what I got wrong. :| Uncooperative things... Anyway, I love how that one character's sudden complication made the whole story blossom!

    (Why does Dauthung want Esme? Is it a political thing? Does she have powers? Is it spoilers?)
    - Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't remember. I think it depends on where you're stabbed. XD

      I GENUINELY DON'T KNOW. IT WAS PAINFUL FOR SURE.

      He's my favorite of all time now <3333 That's awesome, usually that's how my characters work until I finally crack through them and they cooperate.

      (Yeah....it's spoilers. Not even my critique partner knows yet. Mwah ha ha...)

      Delete
  17. I'M SUPER LATE, BUT YOUR STORY SOUNDS AMAZING!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR MORE ABOUT IT. XD

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds SO EPIC. I can't wait to hear more about it!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Faith, this sounds incredible! I am so excited!

    Wait, what? I can't even write on my ipad, and my fingers can fit on that keyboard, HOW IN THE WORLD DID YOU WRITE IT ON YOUR PHONE!!!??? You are amazing! <3

    ReplyDelete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)