The Best Indie Books I've Read In the Past Year!

by - May 22, 2023


 Hi guys! Today I'm here to attack your TBR with a bunch of indie books that you should read and will love. I've read so many indie books lately that are just GOOD and I'm super excited to share a handful of them with you guys! 

So here we go! My top few indie books! (There will be another post once I get through all my current physical TBR books).


The Blood Race/Sparrow Rising by K.A. Emmons
This series is so cool, y'all. I definitely like the first trilogy better than the sequel duology, but both are excellent. The Blood Race is a dystopian in its early stages--the evil government hasn't taken over yet, and this group of superpowered kids is responsible for stopping them. They all live in a parallel dimension (brilliantly called The Dimension) where they learn to use their powers and confront their dark secrets. Icarus is one of my favorite guy characters ever, and this series is criminally underrated.


Moonscript by H.S.J. Williams
This (currently standalone) Elf fantasy is SO SO GOOD Y'ALL. It's about an unlikely band of kids who go searching for the lost Elf prince, the heir to the kingdom and the only one who can save them all. It's pretty dark (a LOT of torture in this one) but the Christian themes are gorgeous and I loved every page. I LOOOOOVE me a good redemption arc, and Hannah serves that in spades. Character development is so so important and this book is an incredible example and YOU NEED IT.


Illuminare by Bryn Shutt
Y'ALL. IT IS ILLUSTRATED. WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED. THAT'S ALL YOU NEED FROM ME. GO PURCHASE THIS BOOK. *ahem* In something of an attempt to be more objective: Illuminare is about a stolen journal and the guys hired to get it back. While it's a fairly simple concept, it's the intro to a vast, lush, Venice-inspired world of canals and blood. The boys in this book are amazing (especially Desmond--we need more musicians in fantasy, guys) and I need the next books in the series PRONTO. ALSO IT IS ILLUSTRATED. 


The Electrical Menagerie by Mollie E. Reeder
This book is STEAMPUNK, y'all. Steampunk with a side of circus vibes. What more could you need? I read this book years and years ago but I vividly remember loving it. It's the story of two guys fighting to save their circus and trying really hard to stay on the legal side of things as they do. I LOVE this story and if you're into steampunk...you need this.


How We Rise Trilogy by Brooke Riley
Am I biased about this series? Not really. Because Brooke might be my best friend, but also THIS SERIES IS AMAZING. The characters are some of my favorites ever and the world is SO good. It's dystopian America but reads like contemporary. Peter and Raegan are just *chef's kiss*. You all need this one on your shelves.


So here you go: five awesome indie books for your TBRs. I'll definitely do a part two at some point here (and probably a small presses book list too! I LOVE me a good small press). Let me know down below what your favorite indie books are! I always need more books on my TBR, actually.

You May Also Like

4 comments

  1. the fact that I am in this post along with my favorite indie series of all time. actual goals. (idk if anyone says goals anymore but idc) loved this post. definitely interested in looking into some of these now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moonscript! The Electrical Menagerie! I love both of those so much!

    And Illuminaire is on my short-list of TBRs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES they're truly so good! And I loooooved Illuminare so much.

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)