NaNoWriMo Ship's Log, Part 2: Of Unforgivable Sins, Hitting 50k, and Angst

by - November 25, 2019

HELLO EVERYONE!

It is getting into the last week and the home stretch of NaNo! Is anyone else still excited? Anyone else still dying? Because I am. Let's do this today! Days 11-20 are logged below.

(all pics are from Pinterest and all rights to the owners. I own nothing)

~

Day #: 11

Word Count:

3,461

Pertinent Song Lyric:

Without the mask, where will you hide?//can't find yourself, lost in your lie//Evanescence

Out of context quote:

She swallowed hard. “What does… what does my face look like right now?”

How's the captain?

Plot twists! Waking up at 5am! STUFF! This was fun. I don't have much to report.



~

Day #: 12

Word Count:

3,091

Pertinent Song Lyric:

And although I know that he is blind//still I say there's a way for us//Les Miserables

Out of context quote:

Then she looked up and found Derek’s eyes on her. The expression on his face was not judgment; nor was it shame. No, all she saw on Derek’s face was anguish.
“I love you,” he mouthed. “And I’m sorry.”

How's the captain?

My villain is a horror, guys. I keep trying to come up with a way to kill him off before this story has even hit the halfway point, but... I can't find a way to finish this plot in a satisfactory way that lets that happen. So despite the fact that I'm crying about it...I can't let Dauthang die just yet. A pity, really. He's the worst.


~

Day #: 13

Word Count: 

3,055

Pertinent Song Lyric:

My castle crumbled overnight//I brought a knife to a gunfight//they took the crown but it's alright//Taylor Swift

Out of context quote:

She raised her hand and pointed straight at the dress on the floor, trying to direct all her focus at it. Something popped and the dress burst into flames.

How's the captain?

Today was a big day, everyone, because TODAY WAS THE DAY I HIT 50K ON THIS WIP. And I finished act 1 of the plot! Let's see if parts 2 and 3 move a little faster...I mean, I could still fit about 80k into this book if it's going to be the same length as The General's Children and The Soldier's Gamble, books 2 and 3 of the series. But I don't know if it'll quite hit that length. 120k is my projected length so...we'll see! For right now...I won NaNo (technically and traditionally, haha), I wrote a massive chunk of book, and LET'S SEE WHERE WE GO FROM HERE!!!!!!


~

Day #: 14

Word Count:

2,845

Pertinent Song Lyric:

But she said where you wanna go?//how much you wanna risk//I'm not looking for somebody with some superhero gifts...//just somebody I can turn to//The Chainsmokers + Coldplay

Out of context quote:

Either way this went, it would doubtless be interesting, he mused to distract himself from his fury. Miss Woods or Miss Winslet? Either way, one of them would die.

How's the captain?

Today wasn't all that busy, and I'm not sure why so little writing got done. But I was doing a lot of other things, too, and trying to keep up with school (and spent some time with the fam, which is always nice.) So I'm not too worried about it ;)

Also, one of my OTPs got some good snuggle time in today, for the first time in a very long time, and we can all appreciate that.


~


Day #: 15

Word Count:

4,025

Pertinent Song Lyric:

Why won't you let me go?//Do I threaten all your plans?//I'm insignificant//Twenty One Pilots

Out of context quote:

“Let’s revisit this,” he said. “Aver, hit him until one of the two caves. Ternarnthien is too valuable to damage, but this one… I don’t care about him."

How's the captain?

Torture scene today! I haven't really written one of those since book 2 and all I can say is YIKES. This book is VIOLENT, y'all. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of that.

And my ship decided to get angsty on me, so I had to make them literally sit down and talk it out because NO STOP THAT. That particular plot thread is one that will likely be changed in edits, because I don't know that I like the direction it's going and it's a bit unwieldy, but for right now it's a good thing that I'm writing it this way xD Things are going well. I'm almost at 60k and gearing up for a 10k1day tmrw!!!!!!



~

Day #: 16

Word Count:

5,003

Pertinent Song Lyric:

Bring me some hope by wandering into my mind//...you are the light that is blinding me//Bastille

Out of context quote:

Everything she’d ever wanted was being handed to her on a silver spoon, and she didn’t want it anymore. Why did she just want to have something she could never have? It wasn’t fair.
She wanted power, and now that she had it, all she wanted was the boy she had no claim on. Oh, the world was a wonderful place.

How's the captain?

Hahahaha no 10k today...but I did get 5k! Which is better than I expected. I also read a book and a half today, so I'm not complaining, haha. I tried to draw the Tenth Doctor, too, although that picture didn't work out.

Side villains are horrid and let's just say that.



~

Day #: 17

Word Count: 

3,288

Pertinent Song Lyric:

The light peels back the dark//you can run but you won't make it far//you can't hide from who you are//Sam Tinnesz

Out of context quote:

Everything was gone in the wake of his horror.
And the sight of Esma, swaying on her feet, her eyes huge, one of her hands clenched around the arrow embedded deep, deep, deep into her stomach.

How's the captain?

Well...let's just say that not one but TWO things I've been waiting on since starting this book happened today, and YIKES. It wasn't as wordy a day as I was hoping for, but at least I got a chapter and some down, which is better than I expected. PLOT TWISTS GALORE. It's great.



~

Day #: 18

Word Count: 

2,178

Pertinent Song Lyric:

I don't have a lot left//and how did it end so fast//I say with my last breath that it's a perfect day to float away//Owl City

Out of context quote:

“No one,” he said after a long moment, “has the power to hurt me as much as you did, Esma Pentegreen.”

How's the captain?

I got home from work last night and literally ate some food and passed out. I still had 1,500 words to write to hit 70k, my goal, but I was so tired that it just wasn't happening. This is what happens when you aren't nice to your closers, folks. Put them on dishes...and novels don't get written.

Good grime, I hate doing dishes at work. *cries*



~

Day #: 19

Word Count: 

3,823

Pertinent Song Lyric:

All the shine of a thousand spotlights//all the stars we steal from the night sky//will never be enough//The Greatest Showman

Out of context quote:

A single choked sob burst from her, but she held it together behind his back. “You’re so selfish,” she managed. “You’re cruel.”
“Tell me something I don’t know.”

How's the captain?

In pain. Crying. That's all I've got for ya sorry. xD



~

Day #: 20

Word Count:

3,676

Pertinent Song Lyric:

No light, no light in your bright blue eyes//I never knew daylight could be so violent//Florence + The Machine

Out of context quote:

Rishatta tried to focus on that, on not thinking too loudly, even though his mind had its own opinion of things and wanted to scream scream SCREAM
Whisper, he told it. Like the snow.

How's the captain?

I went to Starbucks today after my piano lesson! And it was amazing. I got a peppermint mocha latte (delicious, btw, 10/10 recommend) and sat down at a table and just wrote for a couple of hours. I think I was there for about 90 minutes where I was actually writing, and I wrote all of yesterday's words in that time. I word warred Nicki Chapelway some in there, too, and it was a great time.

I also wrote the thing I like to call the Unforgivable Sin today. It was a disaster, to say the least (for the characters, not for me!) I had a great time writing it, weirdly enough, even though I crushed the souls of four separate characters in the doing. The good news...something has been fixed! Relationships are all over the place! EVERYONE wants to kill my villain now! We're having a great time! Oh, and someone who's been out of the action for a while came back and is ready to FIGHT this dude within an inch of his life. It's going to be amazing.



TOTAL WORD COUNT: 76,011

In the last ten days: 32,267

The end of the post, y'all! Thanks for reading! And I hope your second third (ummm...what?) of NaNo is going brilliantly. I'd love to hear how you're doing, how much progress you're making, so tell me below! 

You May Also Like

18 comments

  1. These out of context snippets are the best and the worst. Best: they’re amazing. Worst: you forgot to give us the following sentences (paragraphs [chapters])!!

    You’re doing an epic job with NaNo, Faith! Good luck with that amazing goal! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *coughs* Oh, whoops, my mistake. I'd remedy that if I could, believe me xD

      Thank you!!!!! I'm really hoping I can finish this monster soon!

      Delete
  2. Um, what??? *dies* Just leave those out of context snippets there, why don't you, with no explaination if all of my darlings are alive!!! Sure, you haven't written a torture scene since book 2, but you only torture me with every. single. post.

    "Whisper, he told it, like snow." <------- WHAT IS THIS GORGEOUSNESS?????

    Faith, you are doing a spectacular job! Keep it up, girl!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *cackles* I'm cruel, I know. But you'll find out soon enough, I'm sure. Mwahahahaha.

      YOU ARE TOO KIND TO MEEEEEE *sobs*

      Thank you so much, Clare!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I am not dying. I already passed on. Join me in Valhalla XD

    But seriously how is your prose so absolutely poetic? Like seriously????? I'm in love with those out of context snippets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MOOD HONESTLY and I'll be there on December 1 because I'm going to survive this month if it KILLS ME *sobs*

      You're lying because my prose is awful but I'm glad SOMEONE here likes it (and in all sincerity...THANK YOU <3)

      Delete
  4. THOSE SNIPPETS, FAITH!!! HOW??? Just,,,, giRL

    ReplyDelete
  5. GIRL. GIRRLLLL.
    YOU ARE DOING SO AMAZING.

    AND THE SNIPPETS. I AM DYING. The more I see of this book, the more I realized it is going to d e s t r o y us. THE DEREK ONE THOUGH. "I love you and I'm sorry"??? WHO IS HE SAYING THIS TO GAH. Literally all these snippets are making me scream.

    KEEP BEING AMAZING, FAITH!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CHRISTIIIIIINE *sobs* You're so precious and AHHHHH. You're doing amazingly too!!!!! Keep rocking this thing!!!

      It's destroying me, right now, so...I gotta admit, we'll have a fun time with this. Oh well. *cackles* And Derek is...probably not saying that to the person any of you think he is. Haha.

      THANK YOU!!!!! YOU TOO!!!!!!!

      Delete
  6. I am both confused and horrified by those out of context quotes. What are your poor characters enduring because of you??? *eyes you suspiciously* Anyway, congrats on finishing NaNo! *throws confetti everywhere*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *zips lips and whistles* definitely nothing important. Thank you!!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Derek said I love you to someone, hopefully to the person I hope it is *screams into the abyss*
    Peppermint mocha's are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ....WHY THE SNIPPETS THOUGH?!!! I'm simultaneously extremely excited and ridiculously terrified.

    Sidenote, those song lyrics! I haven't heard of most of them, but I'm going to have to look them up!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHHHHHHHH they were so much fun to stick in there *cackles*

      <3 YES! they're such good songs!

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)