NaNoWriMo Ship's Log, Part 1: My Protagonist Steals Someone's Clothes, Kissing Happens, and I Lose My Mind

by - November 11, 2019

Hi there, everyone, and happiest first third of NaNo to all of you! (How are we already a third of the way through the month???? Cue the hysterical screaming*) I'm here today to give you some updates on my first few days of progress on my NaNo novel, the fourth book in the Pentegreen series. Title is under wraps, in case you missed the last post (and for anyone who'd like to go back and find out a bit more about what the book is about, here's that post. RIGHT HERE)

Below is the template I used to keep this post organized. I can't do full snippets anywhere, because there are so many spoilers at this point, but I do have one random line from each day. So...here ya GO and enjoy!


Day #:

Word Count:

Pertinent Song Lyric:

Out of context quote:

How's the captain?


~

Day #: 1

Word Count:

9,794 words 

Pertinent Song Lyric: 

You were beautiful and you were worth it all//so why didn't I tell you?//for KING AND COUNTRY

Out of context quote:

She doesn’t say anything about how sick she feels.

Not until she collapses in the middle of the field and Redow races home carrying her.

How's the captain?

I got up at 5 in the morning and wrote 5k in two hours, and then added another almost-5k in the afternoon before going to work. Altogether, off to a very good start and I'm pleased! Although seriously WHAT IS MY STORY DOING. My characters are already:
-Sassing the villains
-Getting physically beat up
-Swearing more than is healthy
-Ending up with the wrong people
-Getting turned against each other
While my villain just stands in the back like a human personification of the devil emoji.

Anyway! Day 1 is COMPLETE!!!!!



~

Day #: 2

Word Count: 

3,078 words

Pertinent Song Lyric:

A constellation of tears on your lashes//burn everything you love, then burn the ashes//Fall Out Boy

Out of context quote:

“I swear by the sun in the sky and the stars in the night that I will not kill him. I’ll swear it in blood if it makes you feel more assured.”

How's the captain?

*coughing* *screaming* *choking*

The plot is deeply underway at this point and OH MY DEAR GOODNESS

Someone help me

Basically, I think the way this conversation went with my brain was that I thought "I need my OTPs to have more time together. Maybe some kissing."
And my brain went "OKAY! HAVE A KISS!"

And I'm sitting here going "NOOOOOOOO NOT BETWEEN THEM!!!!!!!!!"

So...yeah. That happened today. Help would be greatly appreciated.



~

Day #: 3

Word Count:

1,244

Pertinent Song Lyric:

Regretting him was like wishing you never found out love could be that strong//losing him was blue like I'd never known//Taylor Swift

Out of context quote:

He loved her. And that had not changed, would not change, not for anything.
You couldn’t just stop loving someone.

How's the captain?

I had to write a breakup today. With my eyelids aching and wanting to just fall asleep right then and there. So...yeah. But it's a Sunday--tomorrow will be a better, new day. And I'm hoping for 5k again.



~

Day #: 4

Word Count: 

5,720

Pertinent Song Lyric:

I don't care, go on and tear me apart//I don't care if you do//cuz in a sky full of stars...I think I see you//Coldplay

Out of context quote:

Derek?”
He turned.
“Kara,” he said.

How's the captain?

I wrote a reunion that's been a very long time coming today, and oh, it felt amazing. *squeals* I needed this, honestly. It was lovely to get it, and I'm so grateful to have gotten this far.

In other news, Miss Anna Woods needs a LOT of help, Esma (my protagonist) is traumatized already, and my villain is losing it way too early. So...yeah.



~

Day #: 5

Word Count:

5,016

Pertinent Song Lyric:

If you have to leave, I wish that you would just leave//because your presence still lingers here//and it won't leave me alone//Evanescence

Out of context quote:

“You are powerful in a way that you don’t understand. Your father doesn't want you to know that."

How's the captain?

Ummm....let's just say that I am not a good parent to my smol son. 



~

Day #: 6

Word Count:

3,025

Pertinent Song Lyric:

I'm diving again//I'm going under//drowning in you//Evanescence

Out of context quote:

In Venaria, the air had a crisper, colder quality, one that bit into her lungs as familiar as life itself. Because this was where she’d been raised, Anna could feel the change as soon as they rode across the border.

How's the captain?

Today was the first day so far I've felt burnout, so after writing a couple of short chapters, I took a break to watch an episode of Doctor Who (one that I'd forgotten how cheesy it really was, haha) and draw a picture.



~

Day #: 7

Word Count:

4,651

Pertinent Song Lyric:

Got my fingers laced together and I made a little prison//and I'm locking up anyone who ever laid a finger on me//Lorde

Out of context quote:

It was, however, worth it to her. She’d just proven something to herself, a question she’d been asking for her whole life: am I capable? Am I good enough?

How's the captain?

*wipes away tears* I am...so proud of my daughter. That is all. She stole someone's clothes. And it was glorious.



~

Day #: 8

Word Count:

3,319

Pertinent Song Lyric:

But I got stronger I got harder in the nick of time//honey I rose up from the dead, I do it all the time//Taylor Swift

Out of context quote:

At the bottom in smallest print:
Make me proud, daughter.
~BW

How's the captain?

The second big plot twist, one that I hadn't planned on until very recently, happened today, and honestly, I kinda love it. I thought this book was going to be kind of stagnant to write, because I've had it in my head for so long, but it's still surprising me and that's been fantastic. 

Also, one of my three main girls pulled something on one of the main guys tonight that left me laughing so hard I just really couldn't stop. So beautiful. *cackles* BUT IT WORKED and I love it.



~

Day #: 9

Word Count:

1,996

Pertinent Song Lyric:

Beat me black and blue//every wound will shape me every scar will build my throne//Bring Me the Horizon

Out of context quote:

“Welcome back,” he said, standing up slowly. The curtains of the bed rustled, and the darkness around him increased, rushing in like snakes rearing their fangs. “So glad you were able to join us.”

How's the captain?

I had a long day today--went to Boston and did pro-life outreach instead of writing xD But it was worth it, and I wrote for an hour in the evening. I have a long fight scene tomorrow and that'll be FUN. I am excited.



~

Day #: 10

Word Count: 

3,561

Pertinent Song Lyric:

Took an oath by the blood of my hand, won't break it//Imagine Dragons

Out of context quote:

“We’re matched evenly. Two on one. Winner… walks away alive.”

How's the captain?

Today I might have written one of the most violent scenes I've ever written. But it needed to happen, so...I'm not mad about it. I did cry a bit, though. Oh well.


Total word count for this first third of the month: 41, 656 words *screams*

I'm probably a third of the way through the book, which is amazing!!!!!! It's where I want to be for this point in the month, so I'm perfectly on track. I'm excited. This novel is going amazingly.

How's your NaNo going so far, if you're doing it? (And if not...how's November treating you?) Chat with me in the comments!

You May Also Like

16 comments

  1. This was so fun to read! Love getting little peaks into the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Skye! I hope you had as much fun reading it as I did writing it xD

      Delete
  2. the music recs thooooo also FAB JOB GIRL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuuu!!!!!!!! I'm pretty excited, myself :D

      Delete
  3. Wow I am amazed that you wrote this much and was actually able to keep track of it XD Teach me your ways.

    You know very well how my NaNo is going. A third of the way through and I jumped ship and am only just now starting my project! Aren't I a clever girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you could do that thing I've suggested like 2359 times now and get yourself a planner? Just sayin'? *whistles innocently*

      *pats your head* what a good girl have a treat (BUT ALSO YOU FINISHED SOS THIS CALLS FOR SCREAMING)

      Delete
  4. I'M SO EXCITED THAT NANO IS GOING WELL FOR YOU. *flails* It's going great for me too, all things considered. XD

    I love the format of this post SO MUCH!!!! And those out-of-context quotes... oh my goodness gracious I LOVE THEM AND I'M SCARED OF THEM AND AAAAAAAAAHHHHH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!! And it really is, dear, you're rocking this <3

      Thank you!!!!!! The out of context quotes were SO HARD to find because ACK spoilers but I'm pretty pleased with the ones I did find *cackles*

      Delete
  5. This is SUCH a fun way to log your NaNo! I LOVED THIS POST!!! And, girl, you are ROCKING IT! I don't know how you write so much while still balancing school and everything else. And you write so FAST. It takes me AT LEAST a good hour per 1k. But you can pump out 5k in 2 hours??? It's official. You have fairy blood. It's the only explanation!

    And these tiny snippets are KILLING ME. I NEED MORE. Day #4's snippet made my heart do THINGS because DEREK AND KARA *muffled shrieking*

    I'm so, so happy things are going so amazingly! KEEP IT UP, GIRL, YOU GOT THIS!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOUUUUU!!!!!!!! I don't even know how I did that either--that was honestly a total anomaly xD But your first drafts also come out WAAAAY nicer than mine. I can't write description A T A L L. So kudos to you on that! xD

      I am so glad!!!!!!! Day 4's made me squeal and flail quite a bit, not gonna lie xD So glad you like them!!!!

      YOU TOO DEAR!!!!! We're both rocking this in our full-blown insanity. Keep pushing!!!!!! We're doing great!!!!!

      Delete
  6. Wow... this is just WOW. I'm honestly so intrigued by everything about your story! Also, 41K IN 10 DAYS?!!??! WHAT THE WHAT. That is incredible!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!!!!!!! And yeah, I don't know how I did it xD Thank you!!!!

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)