How One Keeps Up With Writing in College

by - March 04, 2024

Ah, writing in college. It's so much harder than anyone tells you it's going to be, isn't it? They act like if you just care enough, it'll happen.

As a senior, final semester of college, even as an English major...that's not how it works.

There is a better way. I promise. I think it's important to remember that you can make time for anything if it's important enough to you. So if you love to write: you need to find time for it. No one else can do that for you, babe. No one.

So assuming that you care enough to find a way to fit it in: what are some methods to doing that?

Obviously I'm not an expert. But I /have/ been trying to write in college for four years now, so I think I know at least a little bit. Bear in mind that this is fully coming from an ADHD perspective, so the word "schedule" will not occur in here (because that isn't how I operate). But here they are: my top four tips for making sure you write in school!

1. This is not the time for that story you don't care about.

We all have multiple Kinds of stories, if you know what I mean. There's that story that feels marketable. There's that other one that's sort of fun but kind of meh. There's the one that doesn't matter at all. There's the editing project that makes you want to scream. And then...there's THAT STORY.

That's the one you want to work on when you're busy.

Because let's face it: you need something that's going to make you genuinely excited. You want a story that gets your brain firing and your excitement whirring. You aren't going to care about a book that you're writing because it "might sell." Write about your passion project. Write your favorite story. Rewrite the old WIP that just makes you thrilled. Write something that makes you excited to work on it, something you think about all day until it's actually time to write.

2. Set a goal (either in time or in words).

I tend to think in terms of word count when it comes to my WIPs. For me, it's easiest to set a goal of "write 500 words per day" or "write 5,000 words this week" and work toward that. I know not everyone works like that, and that those word counts can be more restrictive for some, so maybe set a goal of time if that works (fifteen minutes a day, half an hour a day). For me, I really draft very fast, so I'll write 1,000 words a day in about 20 minutes and that's my writing time. Making myself set that 1,000-word goal gives me something concrete to shoot for AND a potential ending date for the book, and both of those are huge when you're struggling with productivity.

3. Get right back on it once you miss a day.

This is the hardest thing for me, as an ADHD writer who really struggles to create habits. BUT it's an absolutely crucial practice. Get back in the saddle! One day isn't going to kill your streak, but multiple days will. So don't let it become several days unless you have a VERY good reason. For instance: I lost my streak during homecoming because it was SO insanely overwhelming to work and put together (I was not having fun at homecoming, I was organizing it. Lol. Help). You'll have your own hard seasons, but you can pull through. I believe in you.

4. Celebrate your wins!

Don't write in solitude. This is always true, but especially when it's a challenge to do it in the first place. Find a friend who cares about your writing and see if she'll help you stay accountable. I had Brooke help with this, and I also made sure I was telling my roommates when I wrote so they could give me the stink eye if I didn't. But just as important is celebrating when you do it. Have people you can TELL when you finish your manuscript or complete your streak. It's a big deal and it's worth celebrating! You're chasing your goals and you're doing great. That's huge. 


I hope these tips are helpful as we get back into school, especially if you're a freshman or early on in your college career! Let me know down below how you fit writing into your schedule, and if you have any other tips to suggest!

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. These are such good tips! ESPECIALLY working on a passion project and getting back on the horse as soon as you miss a day! I'm not ADHD (as far as I know) but I really struggle with 'losing my streak' at something and then just not doing it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely one of the most important things is realizing that if something is important to you, you can make time for it. So when I go into any type of project with that mentality, it makes it so much easier to accomplish projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not gonna lie, that comment about writing your favorite story--the one you procrastinate work to write--hit DEEP. <3

    ReplyDelete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)