The Lord is my Salvation

by - June 19, 2023

 You hear those words sometimes and you suspect them of being untrue for you. Yes, He saved me--but from what? My sin? Eternal death? Sometimes those feel abstract. My sin still haunts me every minute. My death will still occur one day. Eternal death? That's more abstract than I can even begin to understand.

He saves us from other things, too, though. He saves us in the day to day--but not from death. Not from pain. So what? 

What's the point?

I would point us to the question of purpose. We all want to feel like we HAVE a purpose. Purpose is something that drives me every day. I want to be busy. I want to check things off. I want purpose. I crave it. It drives me every day--

but what if that is what God saves us from?

He saves us from emptiness. He saves us from pointlessness. In Christ there is no ending to time. We don't face eternal death--we face eternal life. Eternal life is the fulfillment of all these things. The Lord saves me from futility. I might not see results here. I might have moments of boredom. But it's not for nothing.

My suffering? I will see fruit.

My longings? I will see fulfillment.

My strivings? I will see my Redeemer.

I know that He lives. I know that He is my salvation. But perhaps that applies to more than the moment itself. He has saved me from sin, from death, and from eternal pain. 

But he also saves me from thinking that my current pain is pointless. There is a point. I can't see it right now, of course--it's distant, far away, and outside of my reach. But I believe that the horizon dips, and that there are answers and truths below it. We can't see them right now. 

But that doesn't mean they're any less there.

The Lord is still my salvation.

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. AMEN!!! *applauds* This is a subject that has been really hitting home for me in the past few years. I, too, am constantly striving for purpose, for trying to COMPLETE things, to check things off a to-do list. To find fulfillment in each day.

    But our fulfillment is Jesus.

    I was just discussing the other day with a friend about how God wastes nothing. Absolutely nothing. From big to little moments, from hardships to joys, He uses it ALL. Our fulfillment is in Him and Him alone, and, truly, there is such peace in that. We do not have to constantly strive, but instead to simply rest in Him and let Him guide us.

    The Lord truly is our salvation in all things. So much yes to all of this! <3

    ReplyDelete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)