Why I Came Back to Christian Music

by - February 24, 2020



For years and years and years, I've had one excuse when it comes to why I didn't listen to Christian music:

It's too vapid.

It was an easy excuse. I could explain it by venting about my dislike for the theology of churches like Hillsong and Bethel and Elevation (no hate to anyone who does like them. I just Don't.) I could explain it it away by discussing my hatred for the way the American church rejects solid theology for the sake of feel-good music. I could bring up the plethora of "Jesus is my girlfriend" songs on the radio, songs no self-respecting young man should sing. I had an arsenal, all hidden behind those three words: it's too vapid.

Years passed. I had the occasional Christian singer to listen to. A few that stuck with me throughout that time: Daniel Renstrom, Andrew Peterson, Shai Linne, Keith and Kristyn Getty, Austin Stone. I led worship in church. I didn't see myself as being deprived. I didn't seek out especially bad music. I wasn't looking for songs chock-full of profanity or that glorified unhealthy relationships. I just...had other tastes. I didn't need Christian music. Not when it all sounded the same anyway.

Until, not long ago, it hit me: I was hiding.

I'd spent years letting myself listen to depression playlists. I had two entire playlists called, get this, "Pain and PTSD." I hid from the Christian songs that inspired painful memories. Every time I closed my eyes, I could imagine myself back in the church where I was singing along with those songs, with people who would later break my heart. I didn't want to relive that. I didn't want to go to the work of finding stuff that wouldn't hurt. So I listened to music that I knew was completely new to me. Songs that wouldn't remind me of anything.

And then, one day, I thought, "It's been years since I listened to Christ Rice." I thought about it briefly and tried to remember why I'd been avoiding Chris Rice's music. He's a good Christian singer; he's got a great discography. What's wrong with him, I asked myself.

Then I remembered: It was all because of one song, "Everything's OK."

I shook my head at myself and went to listen to the rest of his music. Albums that didn't have that song that I could listen to in their entirety. The album that did have that song. I skipped it. Easy as that. It was beyond easy.

And it got me thinking...why was I truly hiding?

It got me to go ask friends for recommendations. To question why I was really avoiding Christian music. Was it too much work? Or was I cutting myself off from a lifeline that I could have with me throughout the week?

After all, if I can sing these songs in church, I can listen to them in my free time, can't I? My music was one of the few areas in my life where I left my faith on Sunday morning. No, nothing I listen to is objectively bad...but it is not all the sort of thing that will build me up. It's neutral, for the most part. Because I'd found a groove, and I saw no reason to step out of that.

So I did. I started a playlist, going off my own favorite songs and some recommendations from a couple of friends. I cleaned out my spotify and got rid of the things that I knew shouldn't be in there. I deleted all those old depression playlists.

And I woke up the next morning and let myself breathe deeply of the fresh air of life. I listened to people singing about Jesus during school. I drove to work with it. And it's not a cure-all...but it's different. It helps.

I share this not to show that I am strong or powerful. All this happened perhaps a week ago, when I realized that I needed to make a change. I felt the Spirit's conviction. I listened. That's all I can do.

That's all any of us can do, when it comes down to it. And I urge you all to remember that.

To my friends, my brothers and sisters in the church:

please, please do not ever cut yourself off from life-giving sources.

Listen to music that glorifies God. Read books that glorify Him. Seek Him out in the mundane places. Go to work with your mind on Him. Pray before you fall asleep. Read your Bible. Seek him out. It's not because you must do things to be saved.

It's because you are saved, and now your life is hidden with Christ, and the more you know of Him, the more you seek and pursue Him, the more you allow Him to lead and direct your life...the more your life will become complete in Him.

He loves you. He wants your best. Trust Him.

(also, in case you're interested: here's my playlist. ;))


You May Also Like

45 comments

  1. Ah yesssss I'm so proud of yoooouuuuu, doubled by the fact that I adore Christian music now we can jam together sister XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss and your recs are the actual best so clearly this is a win-win :D

      Delete
  2. I love this. I definitely agree with you on making sure we use discernment when choosing our Christian music (because #badtheology), there is something to be said about having constant reminders of who we are in Christ playing in our ears. We need that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely! Theology can be such a mixed bag, unfortunately, but if you can find the good stuff...WHOOOO Baby. So good. <3 Agreed in full!

      Delete
  3. This post is literally E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G. ✨ I relate to literally everything (except I still like some Bethel and Hillsong music😂), but yes, I’m so proud of you, friend. This is so important and I could not be more happy for my lil blogger friend<3333 if you ever need any recommendations, I gotchu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (That's entirely okay. I don't but that doesn't mean you can't xD) Thank you so much! <3 You're awesome, mate.

      Delete
  4. Elevation got me back into listening to Christian music, honestly. What's on the radio usually makes me gag, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what's on the radio usually drives me crazy, too xD Obscure stuff is what I like, tbh.

      Delete
  5. BBY ILYSM!!!! I can't believe we were coming to the same realization at the same time without actually knowing we were both thinking the same thing about Christian music but you took the words out of my mouth. I used to think all the music on Christian radio was going to make me feel annoyed with the peppiness and all of that. And I do tend to avoid Hillsong and Bethel and Elevation since some of the theology doesn't align with mine, especially Hillsong and Elevation. *shudders*

    But I'm glad you are finding peace. Love you so much girl! <3 you knew that already but imma say it again cuz I can!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesommmeeeeeeee *flails and hugs you* I love you toooooooo <3

      Thank you so much and I love you mooooore

      Delete
  6. Don't think because I wasn't first I won't spam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I spam you because I love you I swear. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're ridiculous and my comments are going to be so skewed now

      Delete
  8. AAAHHHH FAITH. So happy for you! <3 I truly believe there's plenty of Christian music out there for every kind of Christian to enjoy - you just gotta find what clicks with you. Glorifying God in our music-listening lives is just so important. I'm pumped you've found some Christian music you liiiiiike; it really does make a difference <333

    Inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! <3 It does make a difference for sure.

      Thanks babe! <3

      Delete
  9. That thing at the end tho?? About not doing it to /be/ saved but because we /are/ saved?? That hit me REALLY HARD, girl. Thank you so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome <3333 I felt really really convicted on that xD

      Delete
  10. Awwww, Faith! Thank you SO much for being open and honest and sharing your heart. This is SUCH good stuff!!!

    I honestly sometimes get annoyed with Christian music because, yeah, sometimes it can get a little...humdrum. Like, I feel like the artists are playing it safe, and it all starts to sound the same. BUT. I do know there ARE bands out there who go a bit farther. Skillet is one. I LOVE their music, because it is anything but humdrum.

    I mean, I used to listen to Chris Tomlin and Casting Crowns and all those all. the. time. They just got a little tiring after a while. But there's nothing WRONG with their music. I just prefer something a little more...interesting sometimes. Something DIFFERENT. But like Lila said, there is Christian music for everyone out there. That's something I have to remember. Some prefer the softer ones, and that is perfectly fine. I just sometimes prefer something a little more different. (Although let's be real, I basically just listen to Owl City 24/7 because I'm obsessed. But hey, he sings Christian songs, so win-win!)

    We absolutely should have music that uplifts us and brings us closer to Christ. Music is one of THE most powerful things on this earth, and using it to further God's kingdom and bring us closer to Him is such a wonderful thing.

    Anyways, I don't even know what this comment is. I'm tired and just rambling at this point. XD But I seriously loved this post. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, yes. SKILLET IS SO GOOD. I adore Skillet. I've been listening to them since I was 10 or 11, and I still haven't gotten tired of them ;)

      Agreed, for sure! It needs to be good music (and sticking it in a minor key doesn't hurt, haha.) And also OWL CITTYYYYYYYYY. My love. *flails softly*

      Yes yes yes! I wish there was more variety and better options for that reason! Oh well, I guess someone has to write some ;) xD

      Thank you so much, Christine! <3

      Delete
  11. Lately I've been losing patience with many modern Christian songs. I love the old hymns, since they seem more thoughtful in their theology, and are better for singing at full force (not that I'd let mortal ears hear me). But I've still been able to find modern Christian music that doesn't make me feel uncertain or sleepy. SovereignGraceMusic, Gray Havens, and-- of course-- Andrew Peterson are great favourites, and Rend Collective is my 'in the car' music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss I agree with all of this. I love singing hymns so much--I just wish there were more, better recordings of them. And accckkkk I love all three of those artists so much! I need to do more with Rend Collective ^_^

      Delete
  12. Oh, Faith!! I *love* this SOOOO much.
    As a girl who grew up not being allowed to listen to Christian music (don't ask - I just had a rather strict upbringing) I haven't really had a whole lot of experience in this field - but I do now listen to a few Christian artists like Keith and Kristen Getty. Hillsong tends to shock me xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      The Gettys are AMAZING. I agree about Hillsong xD But definitely the Gettys! I really like Austin Stone, too. :D

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I'm just calling it as I saw it in my own life so, yeah, it convicted me probably more than anyone xD Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  14. Oh, my gosh, I absolutely loved that! It's a fantastic and slightly frightening reminder! You're so so right, and I love you girl! I'm so happy for you! I completely understand. I really don't like a lot of Christian music for those exact reasons! But, I've found my people. Like the ones you posted. I went through the same thing! But, seriously, this could be applied to so many aspects of life! And I thank you for this! You got very personal, and I know it's helped me, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!<3 I agree with you so much--it's hard to find the good stuff, but so, so important. I'm glad you've found the artists you like and that I'm building that up too! <3

      Delete
    2. It is! And it's very tempting to let it off. VERY TEMPTING!! I give in sometimes, but music is a crucial part of life that really affects us. So we have to work hard to find what's good and enjoyable and glorifies God. Love you girl!

      Delete
  15. Omw, I've been coming to this realization too! :-O Thank you so much for sharing. <33

    ReplyDelete
  16. Super happy to hear!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. ah i love this post so much! christian music has always been near & dear to my heart, as we have an amazing christian radio station in our area. so it's always playing in our cars, and so i've grown up listening to chris tomlin, newsboys, tobymac, etc.

    also if you need / want any recommendations, you have to check out for KING & COUNTRY. hands down, my favorite band of all time, and their song "joy." is my favorite song. their music is incredible and emotional and powerful, and i love them so much <3.

    <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! I wish we had a better Christian radio station near us *cries* SOMEDAY.

      YES! I love them so much (got to see them in concert and *flails* so good. so much love)

      Delete
  18. The questions you asked yourself were HARD questions that many of us aren't aware enough (or brave enough) to ask ourselves. Especially when it comes to our precious music.

    To be honest, I feel I should be asking myself some of these questions. And yet part of me doesn't want to. I really don't like most Christian music anymore. It's either too boring, or lacking, or something.

    But then ... the music I listen to instead isn't always the best. Let's be honest. It isn't the best, haha. I do need to be proactive about this and clean up what I listen to.

    Thanks for stabbing me in the gut ;D

    MB> keturahskorner.blogspot.com
    PB> thegirlwhodoesntexist.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Thank you, Keturah. I've felt convicted on this for a while, so I needed to get it done xD

      I feel that too. It is boring and lacking a lot of the time, and the hunt is so long and feels fruitless and sometimes it's like WHAT IS THE POINT????? But I think it is worth it, in the end.

      <3 no problem, dearie. I pray God gives you the strength to fight through that.

      Delete
  19. Great post! I definitely listen to a lot of problematic music, but I have tons of Christian artist that I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely xD I still have my problematic stuff but Christian stuff is good too ;)

      Delete
  20. This is such a great post! And I think it's one that's really important for a lot of--and perhaps especially--young Christians. I've heard this complaint a lot, that Christian music is just too bland or happy or it's all the same, etc. etc. But just because some of it may not be as meaty as one would like, doesn't mean that we should throw out all the amazing and encouraging resources it can provide! So glad you came back to it! :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed for certain! and the more you're willing to look, the better the songs you'll find!!!!

      Delete

Hello, friends! Do make yourselves comfortable and stay for a while--I'd love to chat with you! I simply ask that you keep it clean. :)